What bike is right for me? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-26-2006, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

What bike is right for me?

I want to buy a bike, i have had 2 different dirtbikes, so i know pretty much the basics to riding. I am 6 foot and about 170 pounds. I have about $2000-$3000 dollars, and i can't decide whether or not to buy a 250 or 500. I rode my friends 500 and i think i can handle one, but i dont think i can find a good bike for $2000-$3000 dollars. So basically can i find a good 500 for 2-3 thousand or should i just get a 250.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-26-2006, 08:01 PM

If you haven't already, make sure to consider other costs other than the price of the bike: riding gear(helmet, jacket, gloves, pants, boots), and taking the MSF course.

If you've got $2-3K to spend on the bike itself, you should be able to find a decent Ninja 500. 250, easily in that price range, since a brand new one is $3K.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-26-2006, 08:20 PM

Ninja 500R

You can most definitely find a nice, clean Ninja 500R in the $2-$3K range. Look for a 1994 or later model. (quite a few upgrades vs. the original 1987-1993 version)

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 07:01 AM

Since you know how to ride bikes, I'd say grab yourself a 600 bike. You can find CBR600 F2, F3, and maybe some F4's for 2-3 grand (F4 maybe 3500) You'll thank yourself later since if you get the 250, you'll want to upgrade a month later. If you live in a city 250 and 500 wouldn't be bad, but since you live in TN... I doubt that.

I bought an F2 last year for $2500 in crisp condition with 12k miles on it as a starter bike, no past experience of riding before. Only crashed due to deer, but haven't fell off the bike yet. I say anything thats a 2001 and under should be easy to find for cheap.

Also, factor in atleast 300-400 for helmet, jacket, and riding gloves alone. Best gear will cost between 500-800 all together. Riding suites can be between 300-600+ easily.

Last edited by JBaz; 02-27-2006 at 07:04 AM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

thnx, and also what do you guys think that the best kind of helmet, and jackets are for a decent price
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 05:48 PM

zxrider is right on the bit. Both Suzy & Kwacker have been producing their 500cc vertical twins for some yrs. Both are within a few dollars of each other. Ideal for getting the feel of riding the paved roads, around their home, in town, with the traffic or the hwys. The have basically bullet proof power-plants.

When the red stop light turns to green on such a bike you will be off faster then most of the traffic. Still watch our for either bike can get you speeding tickets in town or on the hwy for not hard to obtain 90+mph on one. Take care of the bike & you will find others are looking for that very bike & so money in your pocket to take the next step up.

Not with a maze of plastic on them so if dropped you are shocked at the cost of replacement plastic as you would get if you pranged a sportbike.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by justincaleb2006
thnx, and also what do you guys think that the best kind of helmet, and jackets are for a decent price
Supposedly, as long as the helmet is DOT approved, more expensive doesn't necessarily mean safer. You pay for features and design. You have to go and try on different helmets, you'll find one to be very comfortable, and another not so much.

There's three main types of jackets/pants: Leather, textile, and mesh. Leather offers the greatest protection, but is also the most expensive. You're better off spending the extra money upfront for decent gear. Textile is almost like a vinyl, is pretty durable, but they say it's a one-crash jacket, meaning you can't repair it once it's rashed. Mesh is the least amount of protection, and allows air to freely flow through, which is great for hot weather.

They also make perforated leather which will breathe a bit for warmer temps too.

Check out newenough.com, they have some great deals under "closeouts." I've bought every piece of gear I own from them, except for my helmet.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 11:34 AM

icon makes some decently priced helmet and most are dot and snell approved. as for gear, i'd go with joe rocket. i like their stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode