Trying to be sensable about !st bike... Opinions Please - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

Question Trying to be sensable about !st bike... Opinions Please

I am a new rider. I am looking at sevral different kinds of bikes. Money isnt a matter really as far as buying a bike goes. This is where i run into my problem. Im currently looking at a 1990 Yam. FZR 600. It has about 13k miles on it , and is in perfect condition all around. He is asking somewhere around 1800. Im also looking at sevral 600 CBR's, most of which are 97-01. They range in price from 2500 -3500. Should I refrain from buying a newer better looking bike. I think I know the answer to my question, I just need some reinforcement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 11:51 PM

I dont think buying a 99-01 600 would hurt as a starter bike. If its in the 3500 range, go for it.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-26-2006, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

Everyone says that a bike will be laid down at some point. I know damage depends on the crash speed, but isnt it easier to cope with laying down a beater than an decent bike?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-26-2006, 06:51 AM

Depends how worried you are about the bikes looks after you dump it. If you get something with body panels, and screw them up, it will take money to fix. On the other hand, panels can keep a lot of other things from getting messed up. Also, it's a lot cheaper to replace a tubular bar than clipons.

If you get something a little newer, try to do what you can to protect it. Get case guards or a crash cage (assuming you're not going to try to be Valentino Rossi and use up the ground clearance) for it, like the one's that the stunters use, to protect as much of the body as you can, and some frame and swingarm sliders.

Of course if you buy a really cheap bike than there wouldn't be much point in spending much money on it to protect it.

Fact is that dirt riders make better street riders anyway. So, if you just take her easy, maybe you can avoid the whole crash thing, and leave that for the dirt trail. Good luck.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-26-2006, 12:55 PM

Not bad for a first bike, though I would still like to point out the bike was a replica of their road racers back in those days so you are looking for a bit of a peaky engine.

For a first bike I would suggest you look at the 500cc vertical twins of the Suzuki & Kwacker line. They still keep on producing the bikes as they know they are probably the best on the market when it comes to a beginner's bike bar something like a smaller 250cc. The 500s will be faster off the line when the green light comes on rather then most other vehicles & can scoot you up to around 90+mph. Also they are NOT loaded with plastic & unfortunately plastics are like the cost of gold when it comes to weight. Even so with the older FZR600 you will find it a problem finding parts even in a m/c junk yard because they are old & little demand for them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode