what 1st bike - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

what 1st bike

Hi, I am totally new here and I want to know a good beginner bike. I have ridden dirt bikes and quads a lot if that helps the decision. Anyway. I want something recent and up to date (2000 and up). I have been reading a lot of the posts here and I have not found an answer. My price range is below 4500 dollars. It seems that all the threads only compare two bikes at a time rather then 3 or 4 so I never know what is a better starting bike. Thanks a lot in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 01:13 PM

brett it would help if you also gave us your age, possibly weight, & what you want to do with the bike. THEN we can make more sensible suggestions. For all we know is around what year & the money avaliable. Thing is that the bike,pney only & have you not thought about protective riding gear for pavement is so different to dirt let alone the speed when unintended accidents might put you & the bike on your ear?

The use of the dirt bikes & quads will help for you will understand shifting & the use of the clutch ONLY street is so different like on pavement we use the front brake & rearely is the rear used, yet having put in 42 yrs of dirt comp of basically all forms I know the little use of the rear brake pedal is so strange to a dirt rider.

You might find this a bit insulting if you feel your an an experienced comp dirt rider, BUT I would highly suggest that you take the MSF Course for they feed a lot of info as to how to stay alive in the streets with all the cage drivers that simply do not see us on our m/cs.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

Sorry for the lack of info, I am 17 years old, weigh around 140, and am about 5'9. As for what I want to do with the bike, I just want to enjoy riding, ride to school, ride to work, I don't need anything fancy and fast because I understand that just because I have experience on dirt doesn't mean that much when on the pavement with other cars. Hope that clears everything up... thanks again.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 02:29 PM

Is the $4500 for everything, bike, gear, and insurance, or just for the bike? Your gunna need atleast $700+ for gear alone. As far as a bike, since your not looking for speed and more just as a commuter bike and to enjoy riding, look around at the Ninja 250's or the 500. They are nice bikes and are everywere so finding a good price on one isn't hard. Also their are parts for em everywere so when you do hurt it you can fix it pretty cheap. I also agree with Smitty, take the MSF class. Its well worth it. They go over all kinds of stuff that if you learned on your own, you wouldn't be able to ride a bike again Also if your still in high school you might think again about a bike and taking it to school. A motorcycle surrounded by a bunch of cages, let alone un-experienced cage drivers fueled by hormones, is not a good thing. I dont like riding past highschools for that reason. Thats just my though.

Sepias
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 05:09 PM

Okay Brett then I am still with lining up with the MSF Course so you can pick up on the tricks to stay alive on the paved roads & still abve to survive amongst the crazy cage drivers.

You say there is basically two bikes being mentioned. Chances they are the two 500cc vertical twins by Suzuki & Kwacker also being within dollars of each other. Good bikes for what you want to do along with getting the feel of street irons so no need to look at a 250cc.

If you want to go higher in appearance & power then you are basically looking at sportbikes which is to chancy what with peaky engines & when they come on pipe then you are moving like greased lightening. Plus if you make an error in something the sportbikes are NOT forgiving bikes & will put you on your ear.

The two 500s are faster off the line when the green light comes on compared to most of the other traffic & can scoot you up to 90 or 100mph which is well above max speed limit.

After a season on the 500 & if it is well taken care of you will find it easy to sell as so many new to the sport are looking for them "used & in good condition" even if it does mean new try & minor things like that for two sprockets & a chain is not THAT much.

THEN you can be looking at a sportbike to possibly one of the naked bikes in say 650cc line. Sort of up to you fore the SV-650 & 650S are well knowen plus the new Kwacker 650 twin will have been on the road for a season or possibly a 3 or 4 yr old 600 sportsbike unless you become interested in a cruiser. Possibly a V-Strom for who will know that far ahead.

Advantage of said 500cc bikes is they are in a regular riding position so that means more like the dirt irons you have riden & not to the extreme lean forward riding position of the sportbikes.

Lastly the insurance of either 500cc will leave you with a lower cost then the sportbikes for unfortunately at your age you get the dirty end of the stick, in costs, till you are 25 yrs of age.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 05:38 PM

Heh, yea let me tell you insurance for under 25 is a beast. Im 19 and they really tried to ream me with my coverage so I am stuck with just liability. If I bone my bike I bone my wallet

Sepias
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 05:41 PM

Good advice up above.

Again....1) Take MSF 2) Buy all the proper gear: helmet, jacket, gloves, pants, boots, 3) Ninja 250 or 500, Suzuki GS500 are the most popular bikes for new riders. You can pick up a good used one for $2000-$3000, and that leaves money left over for gear and MSF. Used, the Ninjas are more abundant.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 07:49 PM

Im just wondering, most people say take the MSF course. In florida, anyone under 21 is required to take it reguardless. Is it like that in all other states, or just some?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Wow... thanks a lot for all the inputs, that answered all the questions I had, and I definetly will take the MSF course. I haven't looked into gear yet but ill start searching around now ask at a few shops as to what I should get. Thanks again for all the info.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 10:04 PM

Where in NJ do ya live? Check out Rider Insurance.. they're based out of Springfield and will probably offer the lowest quotes in the state. And don't take the MSF class that's offered on the Fairleigh Dickinson campus, it sucks balls.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode