Will I Crash? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Will I Crash?

Iíve been reading a lot of the threads around here and many of the posters claim that newbieís WILL crash their bikes multiple times. This of course scares the hell out of me because I just forked over a butt load of money on a 2005 R6. Whatís up, am I destined to have at least one drop, or if Iím careful enough and aware of all the crazy a-holes will I be fine? How many of you have downed a bike before?

Reading some of these threads Iím almost sorry I bought a sport bike!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006, 11:00 AM

I hate to say this, but yeah you will probly crash.
Its not an if, its not even a when, its how many times over.
Me? I got 4 and counting. Hey, bikes got two wheels and they fall over sometimes. No big deal. Wear your gear, and carry insurance. Learn how to use a plastic welder... Scratches are just character

post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Vash
I hate to say this, but yeah you will probly crash.
Its not an if, its not even a when, its how many times over.
Me? I got 4 and counting. Hey, bikes got two wheels and they fall over sometimes. No big deal. Wear your gear, and carry insurance. Learn how to use a plastic welder... Scratches are just character
If you dont mind me asking how did your 4 accidents happen?

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006, 11:59 AM

I had an accident not too long ago, on a dirtbike. So im hoping that keeps me clear of any street accidents for a while haha =)
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006, 12:04 PM

First, within a month or so of getting a new bike. Following too closely behind a truck taking off from a stop light. With wet brakes (just went thru a big puddle). something happened ahead and the truck slammed on his brakes. I pulled on the brake, but the wet rotor wasnt doing anything to slow me down. With the truck bumper getting closer, I pulled on the brake as hard as I could. The rotor warmed up, dried, and locked up. I had no idea what to do about locked front wheel at the time, and I hit the ground. about 20 mph. minor road rash, sore for a day or so.
Second, A civic decided to cross the road. I'm in its way. it goes anyway. and I had 1060 miles on the bike. The bike was $20 away from being totalled, but easily fixed. I spent a few months on crutches, still got no decent grip strength in my hands, and I know when the weather is about to change now.
third. Wet race track. I'm fine on the wider turns, having fun sliding the rear tire, but once I got into the tight chicane the front wheel lost traction. I brought the bike up to regain control, but it cought all at once and threw me off. Broke a peg, a mirror, a motor mount, and put some scratches on the tank. Being in full gear, I was ready to go back out in minutes
forth. Complicated set of corners, one is off camber. I'm trying different lines to find the best way thru (still at the track) but I'm getting tired and dehydrated. Last time thru I spend half a second too long thinking about the best way. So I got off the track in low tripple digits. Kept it streight in the grass for about 10 feet, then some bumb cought my front wheel twisted it, and chunked me off. I did a superman style dive onto my head. Thank god for helmets. Did another 6 or 7 tumbles before I came to a stop. I was fine. Sore, a tad bruised, but no real damage. the bike lost a headlight and both upper fairings, with some damage to the mids.

To be continued....

post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006, 01:08 PM

Re: Will I Crash?

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan6615
Iíve been reading a lot of the threads around here and many of the posters claim that newbieís WILL crash their bikes multiple times. This of course scares the hell out of me because I just forked over a butt load of money on a 2005 R6. Whatís up, am I destined to have at least one drop,

Yes.

Quote:
or if Iím careful enough and aware of all the crazy a-holes will I be fine?
Probably, but you'll still crash.

Quote:
How many of you have downed a bike before?
All of us.

Quote:
Reading some of these threads Iím almost sorry I bought a sport bike!
Don't be. Dress for the crash, ride as though there is a car around every corner, every driver will run the light infront of you, and the car behind you isn't going to stop and you'll be okay. You will crash, thats just a part of riding. Mitigate the consequences by being prepared. Riding is a LOT of fun, don't put yourself in a position of having to stop riding because you got hurt doing something stupid.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006, 01:33 PM

As Kevlar says "dress for the crash" for 90% of the riders new to the riding are going to go down, lightly but enough damage to the plastic & bike to be such a let down to possibly body injures depending upon what you are wearing or pace you are riding.

Some people claim they have never been down or dropped the bike will not add in simple things like bike dropped at home, possibly forgot to keep the bike in gear & it rolled off the prop stand or in a stop & right turn.

You may have a LOT of experience & still go down. I felt so in '03 when I hit some sand on the twisties at around around 100mph when max speed limit was around 45mph & did get the bike down to possibly 55mph though rebuilding some parts & accepting scratches on the other was close to have the price of a NEW bike of the same make & model. Also by this time I was into my 58 yr of constant riding.

No one claims that m/cs are crash-proof due to only two wheels, constantly balancing & looking for traction & a fender-bender with a cage is "who's insurance will pay for this plus who was in the wrong" only with a m/c & a cage you are down as is the bike with it being damaged & possibly you are hauled off to the emergencie ward. Also why has the slang word of a car/truck come up as being a "cage" for it is not something out of the blue since the truck or car have a frame, cage & such to help in protection along with being upright most of the time.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

Wow, I didnít realize how prevalent accidents are on bikes, I always figured that if I was safe (which I always try to be) I would be some what OK.

When you guys say dress accordingly you mean wear helmet, jacket, pants, boots, I understand the importance of that, and Im looking into getting some gear. But what do you do in the summer time and your going to work/school? I dont know but I dont want to wear leather pants and a jacket around at school when its 90 degrees! What do you guys do with your gear when your riding to work, school, etc..?

Thanks for all the info by the way, it is VERY useful!

Last edited by Dan6615; 02-20-2006 at 02:28 PM.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006, 02:35 PM

Mesh gear is wonderfull during the summer. It doesnt offer the protection of leather (that can be used to crash again and again in), but it works so much better than a t-shirt.

But the most important thing is attitude, you gotta develop the paranoia that everyone is out to kill you. Practice your panic stops, look for a way out of every imaginary situation.

There are added dangers on the street. On the track, you slide, you get up, you max out your credit card trying to fix your bike. Unless you highside or get run over by someone, you will be ok.

On the street there are big metal and concrete things to hit. They got jagged edges, and they really, really hurt. If that wasnt enough, the streets are packed with idiots, who will look directly in your eyes, wave, and then pull out right in front of you.
People arent paying that good of an attention to begin with (talking on their phone while trying to calm down the kids in the back seat) but what attention they do have they spend on looking for cars. No one is looking for motorcycles.

were you always interested in bikes? if not, do you remember how many more you started seing once you became interested?

post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan6615
Wow, I didnít realize how prevalent accidents are on bikes, I always figured that if I was safe (which I always try to be) I would be some what OK.
Ever ride a BMX when growing up? Did your friends? How many of you NEVER came off their bike at some stage, even if only minor?

Now, imagine riding a bike at 70mph. It now weighs a few hundred pounds. You're on roads that may be covered with debris or water. Then, for good measure, chuck a sh*tload of vehicles into the mix, many of which are being driven by people who either don't give a sh*t about m/c-ists or hate them with a passion.

It's dangerous as sh*t out there, but you can do a lot of things to make it safer. It will never be entirely safe, but that's life, hey?

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode