Magnisium? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2006, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

Magnisium?

Im not new to sport bikes persay, I havent been on thescene for 5 years, Im looking for a new bike tho.
I weigh 240# and at 5' 11", I had a ninja 600r for a bit back in 2001, I was onlky around 230# then.
Not sure if a 600would push me around now? The main question I had was what bikes have patrs made from magisium? I guess they use the Mag to lighten the bikes, my concern is the fire hazzard that mag has. Mabey Im being anal
But I was just wondering.
I sat on a f4i and it semed pretty comfy, but I dont want to look like a big oaf riding a small bike.
Thanks for your knowladge, and suggestions on what cc bike would be suitable for a fat guy like me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2006, 11:44 AM

My info may be outdated, but I believe most Japanese vehicles are made with magnesium instead of aluminum because it is more available, and therefore cheaper, in that part of the world.

I'm not sure what you are afraid of. Fire? Not likely. Pure magnesium has a very high flashpoint to begin with (which is why you use fine shavings to start a fire with it). The magnesium used to build things is actually an alloy (with Nickle I think) to make it stronger. Even less likely to start on fire.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2006, 11:55 AM

you gained 10 lbs in 5 years, i don't think a 600cc sportbike is gonna have problems carrying your size

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2006, 08:43 PM

Send a message via AIM to conrice
its not pure magnesium...its not the stuff you light up in chem class...if it was, it'd react when it first touched anything...so no...there's no fire hazard with it (that im aware of...like mag. wheels, valve springs, etc.)

that made dropping acid seem like a mild cure for boredom

'95 F3 Smokin Joe - tried to kill me, so i returned the favor and parted it out

'03 "Titanium" CBR 954 - frame sliders, reupholstered seats, cut and gutted stock exhaust, -1/+2 520 conversion, BMC race filter
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2006, 10:11 PM

Its actually magnalium that is used in bikes. Its a combination of magnesium and aluminum. But like what was stated, its used in japanese vehicles because it is more common than aluminum or steel. Magnesium is the third most plentiful element that is found dissolved in sea water. Magnesium is also a beast to ignite. The flashpoint for magnesium (in a pure solid bar) is around 1200*F or 650*C. Basically it takes an acetylene torch to ignite it. If its mixed with aluminum it will take even more. Interestingly though if you did manage to ignite the magnesium in whatever bike part it is and it melts the electrical cables to your bike (assuming their copper) you would end up with thermite (used in many types of granades due to the extremely high burning point) due to the reaction between the aluminum in the frame and the copper. Just thought Id mention that Also its not just Asian companies that are using magnesium, some European and even American companies are using it as well. The 1957 Corvette SS was designed with magnesium body pannels. The new 2006 BMW 325i and 330i have magnesium engine blocks. They use magnesium because it is lighter than aluminum and about the same strength.

Sepias
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2006, 10:20 PM

All old vw engines had magnesium engine blocks too.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 10:10 AM

I weigh 300 and I have a 600...Dont need any more power than that...people say im too big...but it does just fine..Plus i dont want to be a crazy ass speed racer with it, its just for cruisin...
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 11:10 AM

I weigh 237 and I ride a ZX-6R. Since modern 600s are 130hp and the older bikes such as the CBR900RR were about the same... I fail to see why anyone would say a 600 isnt enough.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 01:20 PM

Im pushing 250 myself and have a 600. More then enough power!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 05:45 PM

Not to be picky, but the term flashpoint is a specific property of materials in an equilibrium with air. It is based on the material's vapor pressure and for a metal such as magnesium if pretty darn low and for all practical purposes non-existant.

We normally associate flashpoint with petroleum fuels and the like. In fact the auto-ignition temperature for Mg (510 C) is lower than the "flashpoint" (~634 C). Add a few more degrees and you have molten magnesium.

Sorry, but the chemist in me just can't help it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode