hey, brand new here - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 12:58 AM Thread Starter

hey, brand new here

Hey guys im eric...im brand new to motorcycles (but no to the idea of wanting one). Last summer my buddy got a bike and the bug was spread to me, it looks beyond fun. So I've decided to start saving for a bike, hopefully by summer...im looking at a ninja 250 or 500. My friend started out brand new to motorcycles with a 250 (ninja i think) and a few months later traded in and moved up to an R6, so naturally im tired of my 89 prelude. I have a few questions for now:

1. Im kinda tall (6'4"), 170 lbs, and have long legs...my friend said they may have to move some stuff around on the bike to accomodate me (cant remember exactly what he said), is this something that costs a lot?

2. I see many reviews and people giving the ninja 250 and 500 the thumbs up for a beginner bike...i want a 500 but im leaning towards the 250 for costs sake...unless i can find a good used 500, are there any good sites to search for used bikes in the area? im nto looking to go super expensive on my first bike, maybe 3-4k tops (so probably used)

3. How much would I be looking to spend when buying gear (pants, jacket, gloves, helmet, etc)? Im trying to get an idea of how much total i may need to save up.

thanks guys

Last edited by pluda19; 02-15-2006 at 01:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 06:31 AM

Riding ergonomics will be more of a problem on a super sport than they would be on a 250/500. If you do have a problem, you can get adjustable rearsets (the brackets that hold the pegs to the frame) they are pricey, around $400 or so. Wait and make sure you really need them first.

In my expirience best place to find a used bike is the local classified section of your newspaper. Friends are even better.

Good gear will run you about a grand. This should get you a good helmet, track ready leathers, racing boots, gloves, everything. You could easily spend more if you want the latest and greatest. If you dont mind going to textiles you could easily spend less to, but at a certain point quality starts dropping too quickly. I recomment the somewhat more expansive but comfortable gear. If its not comfortable, you wont wear it. Check out www.newenough.com my favorite gear store.

Oh, and welcome to SBW, and its good to hear you got the sence not to be buying an R1 for a first bike.

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 08:04 AM

Vash pretty much covered all your questions, but just to add a little...I would also recommend Newenough. Check Ebay as well. Go to dealer and try on jackets, pants, boots and gloves to get the exact sizes that you need. Then go to ebay and look for what you want. Odds are you'll find it and it will prolly be Brand new. Sounds like your on the right track, just get to the safety course! Have fun and ride safe

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 08:21 AM

What is with all these tall bastards??? I'm 5'10" and I feel like Tom Cruise on this forum...

Look for an MSF course like bhartwig32 suggested.

Welcome to SBW

-M-
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mstrand_68
What is with all these tall bastards??? I'm 5'10" and I feel like Tom Cruise on this forum...
-M-
Ditto.... Growth hormones in cattle?

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Vash
Ditto.... Growth hormones in cattle?

Hmmm, I've been eating the holy mammal all my life (Farm Boy). Scratch that one off the conspiracy theory list.

-M-
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mstrand_68
Hmmm, I've been eating the holy mammal all my life (Farm Boy). Scratch that one off the conspiracy theory list.

-M-
You are a genetic freak. Hardly worth contaminating our statistics with.

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Vash
You are a genetic freak. Hardly worth contaminating our statistics with.

Damn, every time...

-M-
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 12:18 PM

Welcome to the site. Everyone on here is great and many of your question will get answeres quickly. I want adjustable rear sets myself because riding my gsxr gets uncomfortable after a while. I took a ride on my friends gsxr with adjustable rearsets and it made a world of a difference. I just don't have $400-$500 dollars to spend on the damn things.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 02:29 PM

I do not know mstrand for we have all these tall chaps not to mention the over 220 lb people. Here you are at 5'10" what I use to be & due to three major back injuries & age I am stooped so more like 5'9". Then you have to have some twit like this Vash character pick on us. What a bummer life is to us more normal people, bar age!!!!!!!!!LOL By the way what is the height & weight of Nicky Hayden???????

Last edited by Smitty; 02-16-2006 at 11:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode