A few questions from a newbie - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

A few questions from a newbie

Hello everyone. I just bought a 1992 Ninja 500 today. I was so excited I rode it for about 2 hours. My questions are:

1. The bike seems to be running a little rough, could the carbs need to be cleaned? (it has 13000 miles)

2. How often should i change the oil (i don't have the manuel)

3. What are the most common ways new riders get into wrecks?

4. any saftey tips? I am very concerned because my friend died in a motorcycle wreck 2 years ago. I just bought a Leather Joe Rocket full piece riding suit with armor, helmet, boots and gloves (In fact, i spent more money on the gear than the bike). Is there anything else I can get? I am going to take the motorcycle saftey course in a month.

THanks

Any other tips are appreciated too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 08:04 PM

1. The bike seems to be running a little rough, could the carbs need to be cleaned? (it has 13000 miles)
* Clean & Synch the carbs
2. How often should i change the oil (i don't have the manuel)
* I change every 3 mos or 1500. I'm a little picky, but oil is cheap, engine rebuilds are not.
3. What are the most common ways new riders get into wrecks?
** Being new riders; seriously, most new riders get caught out turns, not being secure in handling the bike and overcooking. Also emergency braking seems to catch quite a few off-guard as well.
4. any saftey tips? I am very concerned because my friend died in a motorcycle wreck 2 years ago. I just bought a Leather Joe Rocket full piece riding suit with armor, helmet, boots and gloves (In fact, i spent more money on the gear than the bike). Is there anything else I can get? I am going to take the motorcycle saftey course in a month.
***Taking the MSF and investing in the best gear you can afford are steps in the right direction. Practice, practice, practice, everything they teach in MSF. Find an empty lot or clean stretch of road and practice braking to full stop from the speeds you ride at.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 09:32 PM

The oil needs to be changed every 3 months or 2,500 miles which ever comes first...Use mobil 1 oil..

It sounds like you need to clean the carbs and get new spark plugs.. Also check the air filter...
Was the bike setting for an extended time without being started?
If so , the clean the carbs...

AS far as safety, just take it easy and aspecially watch for cars at intersections and side streets as drivers have a tendency to not see motorcycles...Ride like everyone is out to run you over, keep your senses alert and when riding watch for debris in the road ..

Yes, good to hear you will be taking the MSF course as it is very good , and will teach you some great techniques..

Good luck...

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 06:37 PM

The bike may/probly needs a carb cleaning like everyone said. But since those can get a little pricy if you are going through a mechanic, you might go to your local sunoco gas station and run some race fuel through the bike. That tends to clean my carbs pretty well. You might look into getting a Haynes manual or something of the like for your bike just for reference. The biggest problem I had when I first started riding were low speed turns. I tended to oversteer into them and would drop the bike. It only takes a few drops until it all clicks. Just avoid trafic for a while. I stayed in my neighborhood for my first two weeks before I went into any sorta traffic. You sound to be on the right track with your equipment and the riding classes. Hope you enjoy riding and welcome to SBW!

Sepias
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode