Bike oppinons? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Bike oppinons?

I am getting ready to purchase my first bike, and I'm looking for some oppinions on what I should get. It has to be a sportbike, and nothing smaller than a 600 (I've ridden quite a bit on a few 600's, and I'm 6'4, 230lbs so I really wouldn't fit on anything smaller anyway). I have about $3000 to spend, what do you guys recomend? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 04:53 AM

i see alot of people recomend the sv650, i personaly have never rode 1 myself, i would still recommend a 500 to start with even though you have rode a 600 before the 500 would be a good bike to start with, with a 500 you would learn alot so when you do upgrade to a bigger bike you will have better skills.

scott
2002 CBR 954 RR
when you are on a honda you are on the best
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 10:19 AM

does the 3 grand include gear, insurance and taking the MSF course? If you're dead set on a 600, my suggestion is a honda f2/f3, you may find one in your price range. I wouldn't really recommend getting anything bigger than a 600 for a first bike.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

I've actually owned a 94 ex500 before, I bought it after it was in an accident, fixed it, rode it a few times, then sold it. It was just too small for me and I was uncomfortable. So I really am interested in at least a 600. I'm semi responsible, and have some experience (no, I don't think I know it all and can do it all, but I do have the basics down), and some fear as well. But I need to be relatively comfortable. The 3 grand is only for the bike, I own a couple jackets, have many helmets (drag racer) and the 100 bucks for insurance is no big deal. There's not a whole lot in my area, everyone wants too much. I am more than willing to travel, but I don't wanna drive 8 hours to find the bike I'm looking at is a total piece of shit. Anyone know of anything out there? Thanks for the reply's

Ragu
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 11:59 AM

Have you been out and sat on some 600's???

People can give you their opinion on which bike they think is best but, in the end, you need to find the model bike that "fits" you best.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by cookeetree
Have you been out and sat on some 600's???

People can give you their opinion on which bike they think is best but, in the end, you need to find the model bike that "fits" you best.
Yeah, I rode an early 90's ZX6 quite a bit last summer, and it was a pretty good fit. I don't know what a cbr would feel like or a gsxr but I assume they are about the same.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by big ragu
Yeah, I rode an early 90's ZX6 quite a bit last summer, and it was a pretty good fit. I don't know what a cbr would feel like or a gsxr but I assume they are about the same.
Sorry, I totally missed the part in your original post about having ridden 600's before.

The only way to know the difference is to get on them.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 11:36 PM

I think an older Katana 600 is a good beginner bike, although it is a little heavy. That's what I'm learning on right now and think it has more than enough power for a beginner. They're cheap too!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 04:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by owengaff
I think an older Katana 600 is a good beginner bike, although it is a little heavy. That's what I'm learning on right now and think it has more than enough power for a beginner. They're cheap too!
Cheap is good! You know what my problem is? I'm having a hard time wanting an older bike, because compared to something newer they just don't look as good, or as stylish. But I guess when I drop it, it won't look very stylish either!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 08:41 AM

Ragu, Yeah, I know what you mean about older bikes. My Katana had been dropped on both sides when I bought it, so it already looked like a beater. It runs great though and I got it cheap. Since I was completely new to riding, I wanted something that didn't look that nice because I expected that I was going to drop it. I've dropped it once, the first time I rode it, and I've been good since. I was able to laugh about dropping it though and didn't care what happened because it already had the scratches on it. I don't think I would have felt like that on a nicer looking newer bike though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode