getting my first bike - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

getting my first bike

well guys, i just wanna introduce my self since this is my first post. my names eric and im from western maryland (on WV and pennsylvania border) and im about to pick up my first bike. i just put an order in at my local dealership for an '06 hayabusa and i just wanted to know if this is a good bike for doing wheelies and stoppies?

just playin. im looking for a little 250 ninja for about 1500 or so. i just want something to learn the basics on, and i can just pick it up and throw it at who ever laughs at me if i wreck. so is this a good choice or should i look into a 500, just for some extra kick so i dont get bored too quickly? ive done some reading and i've picked out (but havent bought) a jacket, gloves, and a helmet that i'd like. would jeans suffice as long as they're not too baggy? thanks guys and im looking forward to getting into this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 04:31 PM

Re: getting my first bike

Welcome to SBW!

Glad to hear that you're taking the safe option and starting small. You could probably go up to the 500, but there's nothing wrong with a 250. Hey, at least you're riding!

Remember, fuel and servicing costs increase as capacity does, so think about what the purpose of your bike is and work from there.

Kudos on the gear selection, but jeans just won't cut it in a fall, regardless of fit. Try to get some pants as soon as you can. Boots too. Have you taken the MSF yet?

Be sure to post pic's when you buy your bike.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.

Last edited by cookeetree; 02-03-2006 at 04:39 PM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 04:34 PM

Re: getting my first bike

Quote:
Originally posted by shibby6615
well guys, i just wanna introduce my self since this is my first post. my names eric and im from western maryland (on WV and pennsylvania border) and im about to pick up my first bike. i just put an order in at my local dealership for an '06 hayabusa and i just wanted to know if this is a good bike for doing wheelies and stoppies?

just playin. im looking for a little 250 ninja for about 1500 or so. i just want something to learn the basics on, and i can just pick it up and throw it at who ever laughs at me if i wreck. so is this a good choice or should i look into a 500, just for some extra kick so i dont get bored too quickly? ive done some reading and i've picked out (but havent bought) a jacket, gloves, and a helmet that i'd like. would jeans suffice as long as they're not too baggy? thanks guys and im looking forward to getting into this.
Wheelies Yes just be careful not to flip it..Stoppies NO..
If you must get a sportbike get a cheap used R6 that runs good .
The power is still to much for a beginner, . Yes get a 250 or 500 ninja and ride it for a year or 2 and get the riding gear..

If you survive a year of riding a ninja then get a 600 sportbike..
As far as the BUSA Bigger is not always better , I have seen experienced riders on 500-600 sportbikes eat 1000-1200cc sportbikes in the twisties and short chutes..

I have been riding street bikes for 25 yrs so please listen as I do have experience in these matters..

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 04:38 PM

Welcome...and nice joke you'll probably get someones blood pumpin.

Good choice though. The 500 wouldn't be bad either.

Get the gear...all of it. You'll wish you had if you go down cause jeans and shoes just won't save anything.

Great start your on, make sure you get to the safety course if you haven't already.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by bhartwig32
Welcome...and nice joke you'll probably get someones blood pumpin.

Good choice though. The 500 wouldn't be bad either.

Get the gear...all of it. You'll wish you had if you go down cause jeans and shoes just won't save anything.

Great start your on, make sure you get to the safety course if you haven't already.
i'll probably stick with the 250 just for the cost and gas mileage. nailer, the busa was just a joke but i appreciated your concern. i'll look into some pants and boots too, honestly boots never even crossed my mind so im glad you mentioned it. im not sure exactly how the licensing works in maryland, but i think i can just walk in and get my permit, but between the time i get my permit and my license i have to take the MSF class and log a certain amount of hours, then i take my test. thanks for the input so far guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode