Completely New - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Completely New

What's up guys? My name is Andrew, i am completely new to sportsbikes. I have rode dirtbikes for like 5 years now. (yz125&250) I raced for a few years but stopped about a year ago. Lately "the bug" has bit me again and i have the urge to ride- but this time i want to ride on the road, not on the dirt. I searched around the forum for a while but i never found reccomendations for new riders with advanced dirbike experience. I'm 5'9" and weigh about 170 lbs, when i did race i raced comfortably on a pro circuit engine yz 125. I'm just trying to get a sense of what i should start out with because i really don't want to end up seeing my dad (an ER doctor). Thanks a lot, and i hope to be posting on here much more often.
Andrew.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 08:01 PM

Welcome Andrew...

Your question re: all your dirty experience is a good one..and some of your dirt skillz can be used on a "road / sportbike"

What I'd suggest, is to start on something sorta tame, not a new 600cc sportbike, if possible ride a friends older 600 or a bike like a SV 650 twin, if you were a skilled dirt rider, you should have little problem getting settled in on road bike.

Keep in mind that a sportbike takes some different techniques to ride, vs a dirt bike ( I use to race Dirt track) mainly the difference is in the braking, and steering. The front brakes are 99% of your stopping power, so the rear is seldom used. Steering a sportbike requires countersteering, i.e. push left to turn right, and No, it's Not a good idea to try and get it sideways...

On the other hand, if you were a casual weekend dirt rider, I'd suggest a 500cc bike to start on...

if you could, give us an idea on what you'd like to get in the way of a bike....

Hope this helps ya some...

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 08:47 PM

Send a message via AIM to 97yzfinwyo Send a message via Yahoo to 97yzfinwyo
Florida

good luck and watch out for all those snow caps there in FL. they cant see shit, drive defensively!!! take the MSF before you even buy a bike

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 04:45 AM Thread Starter

Thx for the quick feedback guys i appreciate it. I definantly plan to take the msf course sometime pretty soon. I was really into dirt biking (i rode my track every day for 2 years and raced every weekend). And i hope i can really get into sportsbiking as well. Looking through the forums ive got an idea that it might benefit me to get an older (pre2000) 600 cc as a good started and lead in to a newer 600cc in a year or so? is this a good assumption? In florida the sportsbike scene is pretty big and i hope to get involved in it and find some good people to ride with and hopefully this will become a passion of mine. another added benefit (for me at least) is due to a pretty bad driver history (in florida we also have a big import racing scene. which i was passioante about for a while ) my insurance is through the roof. as a student this really makes things hard on me. here in florida you do not have to have insurance if you own the title to the bike- so that was another (much less importnat) drawing factor to a bike (the fact i wont have insurance is also ia reason i will not be buying a new bike- im young, not completely retarted).
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 08:53 AM

With your experience on dirt I would also recommend a 2000 or older 600. Then again I had years on a dirtbike and I still started with an old 500. I would say buy an old beater to smash on for a while then buy something worth waxing...

-M-
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 08:59 AM

Send a message via AIM to 97yzfinwyo Send a message via Yahoo to 97yzfinwyo
Quote:
Originally posted by PavlovsVodka
here in florida you do not have to have insurance if you own the title to the bike- so that was another (much less importnat) drawing factor to a bike (the fact i wont have insurance is also ia reason i will not be buying a new bike- im young, not completely retarted).
unless you dont wear a helmet then you have to show some type of liabilty coverage if you ever get stopped. But we know better and your going to wear one
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 09:44 AM

I also started like you Andrew. I came from lots of dirt bike/racing experience. I started on a 2000 R6, and while it took some getting use to, I have handled it pretty well. I am not dragging knees yet, but can get pretty low. The main difference I noticed was at slow speeds. Braking is really about the same. I know someone stated that on the street you use your front brake the most, which is true, but I did the same on dirt and got pretty good at stoppies. Just take it easy, take the MSF and buy the right gear. Good luck.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 10:49 AM

I am fortunate for it was both dirt comp & street to hwy riding back in my start to '89 when a badly fractured hip finished me off for dirt comp. So by-by 42 yrs of dirt comp plus some road racing & when I start riding again this Spring that will be my start of 60 yrs of continual riding.

You might be able to shift over to a 600cc sportbike though I would say you might like the Yamaha FZ6 as riding position will be a bit closer to dirt though rear-sets will be up higher & to the rear. Possibly a used 600 or a new or used Suzy SV-650 yet if you are going new then take a look at the latest 650 by Kwacker.

I had no problem adapting to a sportbike for in the late 40s there were no road racers so we were modifying street bikes to road racers & liking some of the changes we passed those on to our street/hwy bikes later to find out we were building Cafe Racers & the same to the Jpn irons as well.

Last edited by Smitty; 02-02-2006 at 10:52 AM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

I'm definantly going to buy used first- like i said i dont plan to insure the bike- and i know that one rule of biking (Be it MX M/C or a freaking bicycle) is that you will crash at some point and i would hate to crash an 8000 brand new bike whos potential i couldnt even use. are the honda F3's a good buy?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 05:51 PM

Agree that the Honda F3 would be a darn good used bike to latch onto. Still got a lot of snap & go to them, but not to the extremes of the very latest bikes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode