old vs. new - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

old vs. new

Hey guys, i just found a 1989 Ninja500Ex for $1400. It has 3,972 miles on it.

it's my first bike so i'm thinking of getting it. But, how reliable are these bikes? This one 17 years old but low mileage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 12:55 PM

I wouldn't get it. It might be reliable, but with only 4k miles on a 17 year old bike who knows if anyone has been maintaining it or if they just let it sit and rot away. You'll probably have to replace a bunch of shit and who knows what else. Not worth it for a first bike.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 06:01 PM

Re: old vs. new

Quote:
Originally posted by petrograd
Hey guys, i just found a 1989 Ninja500Ex for $1400. It has 3,972 miles on it.

it's my first bike so i'm thinking of getting it. But, how reliable are these bikes? This one 17 years old but low mileage.
The ex500 are great bikes, great gas mileage...
I would offer them $1,000 if the body work is in great shape and if it runs well.. Tires if they need replaced will cost about $240 and if the carbs need rebuilt $120, and a battery $40--60...

If you have any mechanical skills it would be a great starter bike as learning to keep a bike in working order is part of the experience . Check the chain, sprockets for wear, also check oil .
Try to post some pics of the bike and more details...

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator

Kinda gotta half agree. If it is a well maintained (with records) bike, and has been garage kept etc, you may want to look into it. First bike generally won't last long between getting crunched, rider realizing they want something different, change in taste, bike too small, and a bevy of other reasons. On the plus, those make good first bikes, and some folks keep them around even after getting their next bike,

Dan
1991 FZR 1000 - built 1040 with race cams, Akrapovic full exhaust, and mild suspension work
2004 YZF R1 - Graves full exhaust, velocity stacks, BMC race filter, and Power Commander. Rear Ohlins. Forks rblt with Race Tech springs and Gold Valves.
2005 20th Anniversary V-Max (0098/2000) - T boost,
2005 YZF R6 track bike - Graves full exhaust, Race Tech suspension
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Unas_the_Slayer
I wouldn't get it. It might be reliable, but with only 4k miles on a 17 year old bike who knows if anyone has been maintaining it or if they just let it sit and rot away. You'll probably have to replace a bunch of shit and who knows what else. Not worth it for a first bike.
I'll have to disagree with you. I bought my '96 bandit two years ago with around 4000 miles on it. It needed a new battery and pretty soon I had to get a new rear tire. But the bike was garage kept and in great shape, spare a few scratches from people learing to ride in the parking lots. I thought those scratches weren't good enough, so I put some real good ones on

It will be fairly obvious upon inspection whether the bike sat outside uncovered for the last 12 years or perhaps it has been ridden a couple of times a year. If it's not rotted out and runs, it is definitely worth $1000 in my book.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 12:33 PM

You can pretty well assume the bike will need new tyres, new battery, obviously cleaning the carbs of all the sort of "shellac " from the old gas, plus going over the fuel lines plus the inside fuel filter, & the next thing will be the inspection of the tank inside with a small flex mirror for rust could have done more damage then expected. After all where it was stored over those yrs. Some "O" rings & gaskets might have failed over the life of the bike not being used.

Things like that can drop the value of the bike even with little milage. You might check at the shop to see if major parts on the bike have changed in said years.

Also this is when it might be a good idea to pay a m/c mechanice some dollars to take a look at the bike & give you his comment of the value of the bike & a rought idea of what will have to be replaced or done. You never know for sometimes I have found bikes with a lot of years on them & little use have been darn good buys, but then in some cases there were not worth thinking about.

Remember a lot of chaps are purchasing bike made in the early 80s & getting good riding out of them. So you could have the same with the bike you have on mind.

Last edited by Smitty; 01-26-2006 at 12:37 PM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 08:30 PM

For 1400.00 that bike should be imaculate...if not it's to much $$$ for it. 1000.00 would be a reasonable price imho...

Usually, but not always...well maintained bikes are generally kept very clean...i.e. no gunk, or rust on the chain, or wheels..ect.

Check the oil, to see that's it's Clean also..As it should be if the bike had regular oil changes..

IMHO...I think the ex500 is an excelent bike, heck lots of roardracers use em.cuzz they are fairly inexpensive to maintain..

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 08:52 PM

I bought my 1990 ninja 500 for $800 canadian, I definately think you can get him down in price. I've already had to spend a couple of hundred to rebuild the brake caliper, sparks, plug wires, new fork springs and seals, back tire, carburator cleaning, and rebuild for good measure. Unless they've taken perfect care of that bike you'll most likely have to spend a moderate ammount to get it back into shape, so definately try get a lower initial price.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by veektor
I'll have to disagree with you. I bought my '96 bandit two years ago with around 4000 miles on it. It needed a new battery and pretty soon I had to get a new rear tire. But the bike was garage kept and in great shape, spare a few scratches from people learing to ride in the parking lots. I thought those scratches weren't good enough, so I put some real good ones on
I wasn't saying scratches should deter him, I was saying there's a possibility that the bike might need a lot more then a new battery and a rear tire. That's nothing. When I first got my bike all I wanted to do was ride it, not fix it. Later I spent time replacing and fixing some shit and learning how to work with bikes.. but it's up to him I guess.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 08:16 AM Thread Starter

Hey guys, thanks a lot for all of your advice. I'm probably going to go with a somewhat newer Ninja500. I want to know how to ride a bike first before being able to fully repair it. Besides, they don't lose value to much anyway so I can always resell it and get most of my money back.

Now the hard part is to find one. So far no luck for me in the chicago area.

Thanks to all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode