New Bike - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

New Bike

Hey guys,

I'm getting my first bike pretty soon and I wanted a cbr600F4i. However, after reading a lot of posts on this site, I see that people recommend learning on something like the Ninja 500ex and few agree that learning on a cbr600 is just as fine. Now, I want to learn to ride and be as safe as possible. I would rather start out on the cbr since I don't want to buy the ninja and then have to resell it to get a new bike later on. I want to make the best possible decision. So what do you guys think? Is the cbr a good idea? And I will be taking the MSF course.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 08:39 AM

Do you have any bike experience? How big are you?
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

I can ride a bicycle, that it for now.

I'm also 6'1" and about 190 lbs.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 09:20 AM

Then the CBR is probably not a good idea, but its your life(for now).
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

Got it.

However, I wanted to ask, what is it exactly that makes the cbr more dangerous? Is it just the horsepower?

Also, can someone give me advice on some site where I can find good deals on bikes, besides cycletrader?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 09:35 AM

might wanna take the MSF course first and see how comfortable you feel on a bike.

there's a big debate about starting on a 600, some such as myself have started on 600s and are still alive ::knocks on wood:: but would I suggest it to everyone? probably not, in fact there are times when I wished I picked up a 500 instead of a 600. but those usually occur when I make stupid mistakes on my bike and those have finally started to spread out and become less common

It is ultimately your decision, and if you decide to go the 600 route then I'd suggest sticking to hondas although I may be pretty biased. but another option is the suzuki sv650, I hear the v4 engine is good for beginners as well.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 09:40 AM

I too, started on a 600, but I have lots of dirtbike experience, plus I have ridden many street bikes, from cruisers to 750Rs. The difficult thing about 600s is the lack of low end power(I feel). Its difficult to addjust to the snap of power at 10K Rpms. The SV 650 would be a good starter bike for you with your size and weight. They have friendly powerbands, and you can grow into it a little more than a 500. Like Nomad said, take the course first and see how you feel. Good luck.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

Thanks a lot guys! I will take your advice and take the course first.

Do you guys know a good site with bikes for sale? Besides cycletrader.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 09:45 AM

Not really, search your local paper and maybe check craigslist.com
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

Thing about the sv650 is that it's expensive. In the beginning, I was hoping to find a ninja500 for less than 2 grand right now in the winter and the possibly sell it off in the summer so that I do not lose that much money and by that time, get myself a cbr. But then, throught talking with other people, I thought about getting a cbr from the start, where I can dish out some decent money and keep the bike. I guess I'm reconsidering that as well now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode