Is this a good idea? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Is this a good idea?

Hi, I've been on this forum for a while just lurking reading posts, but now I have a question. I found this 1989 Ninja 500, with 12,000 miles on it for 500 dollars on craigslist. It would be my first bike, I got my license in August through the MSF, I'm nineteen and in college right now, so the price is appealing. I was just wondering what your opinions are. I'm probably going to check out the bike in person this weekend.
This is what the ad says:
1989 kawasaki ninja ex 500- 12000 miles
New clutch, rear tire, battery and oil filter last season. -over $300 put into it
The body has all the plastics, but some are scuffed and damaged....not a dream to look at.
The motor runs well...no problems for as long as i have owned it.
The only downside of this sale is that the chain has fallen off of the rear sprocket, and will cost approximately $150 to fix. Selling as is.
Great starter bike or cheap ride.

this is the link for it: http://boston.craigslist.org/mcy/126513261.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 04:10 PM

"The chain has fallen off the rear sprocket and will cost $150 to fix."

Sounds like a special boy.

If the chain is shot you can get a good chain for $50 to $85. Sounds like this guy doesn't know anything about motorcycles. 12,000m is good for an '89. If it starts easy and runs then it sounds like a good buy for a starter. Spockets and a chain are easy to put on. If you need help just post up and we will walk you through it.

Good luck.

-M-
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2006, 12:55 PM

Even I would jump for it. I could use a decent regular riding position 500cc for running around town or going a short distance to the closest city rather then my 600 or other sportbikes.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2006, 07:02 PM

I think it would be great for a starter bike. You can use the bike to build your skill & confidence. Now since you found yourself a bargin, go out and get yourself some gear
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Well I bought the bike today, it really seems like the only problem is how the chain fell off. Thanks for the advice, now I have to wait untill spring break because thats when I'll have time to fix it. One last question, the previous owner told me he put fuel stabilizer in the tank, should I take out the battery until spring?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 05:05 PM
Strength and Honor

Quote:
Originally posted by marton
should I take out the battery until spring?
Yes and it would be wise to check the water levels in it. Fill with distilled if low.

Either put on trickle battery tender occassionally or you'll probably have to recharge it come next season. Play that one by ear.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode