Hey all, new to the scene, Questions. - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Hey all, new to the scene, Questions.

Hey everyone, lately ive been considering gett a sportbike. Ive never ridden one but am extremely interested in it. Im looking at "starter" bikes. I have about 3500 to spend new or used. Im looking at the ninja250r, ninja500r (if i could find a used one for cheap), suzuki GS500F, or suzuki SV650. Are there any others i should consider? im 17 1/2 and have been working my ass off saving up and have finally found something that i am definately wanting/willing to spend it on. Ive read the new rider stickies and such. What should i avoid/research more? Also i am 5 11', 140, is that going to be a problem manouvering the bike at all? my dad has a honda shadow and that thing is really heavy. i know sport bikes are a lot lighter but i was just curious. Thanks very much (also sorry if this has been posted before, im just now starting to search and read a lot of this wonderful forum!)

-DJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 04:39 PM

First of all, welcome to SBW! (standard greeting)

Sounds like you've done a bit of homework already, reading the beginner bike posts. Also, kudos for actually taking heed of what experienced riders have to say with respect to choice of first bike.

I can't really advise you on what you'll get for your buck over there, but don't forget to factor in the cost of gear and take the MSF.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 05:11 PM

It's good to hear someone with their head on straight.

You'll be fine. I wouldn't worry about your height / weight. Most racers are tiny little guys, and they do just dandy.

Good luck.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by sidewaysducati
You'll be fine. I wouldn't worry about your height / weight. Most racers are tiny little guys, and they do just dandy.
Thats very good to hear. Thanks. Ill continue to do some research. im still not sure whether i want to go with something that might be easier to learn on (like the 250r) or go with something bigger like the sv650 (if i can get the cash). And about how much does all the gear cost? (necesities would be helmet, jacket, and what else?) thanks much!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 06:45 PM

Gear all depends on how much you want to spend, you can get helmets anywhere from a buck and change, to over 500. Just make sure all the gear you get is comfy. In total, everything i got came to a lil over 700, with shipping ( jacket, boots, gloves, helmet, and riding jeans.)
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Fizzer-aid
Gear all depends on how much you want to spend, you can get helmets anywhere from a buck and change, to over 500. Just make sure all the gear you get is comfy. In total, everything i got came to a lil over 700, with shipping ( jacket, boots, gloves, helmet, and riding jeans.)
ya, i definately know that its not worth saving a few bucks in exchange for comfort (learned that with paintball gear) helmet, jacket and gloves are what ill concern myself mostly with. Thanks for the help guys.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 05:16 AM

Having broken my ankle when I hit some ice on my 50cc scooter, I'll suggest you consider some decent boots as well....just a thought. Make sure to consider your insurance costs as well. At 18, your insurance on anything will most likely be pretty high. For that reason alone, it might be worth it to stick with the Ninja 250. I consistently see those used starting around $2200 or so for a 2003--with cash in hand you can probably get one well under $2000, if not for much less.

I'm looking for my first "real" bike too, at 28 years old (240lbs, 5'10") and it looks like I'll be going with the SV650. My insurance price won't be horrible, but it will be over $250/6 months--and I have 6 other policies with the same company, so thats a discounted price too....
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 05:42 AM

I budget about a grand for gear, but if you stick with textiles you can get away cheaper.
Things to look for.
1. Helmet- Even if you order it online, try some in a store. Find the smallest size that you can possibly squeeze into. Even if its real tight, thats the one you want. The helmet will break in after a few weeks, and become comfy. If you get one that too big it will be loose, not protect you well, and have lots of wind noise. Wind noise has more to do with fatigue on long trips than anything else. For this reason, you may want to get some earplugs, they work wonders. Personally I love the shoei RF1000. Its abit pricey, but its very light, small, quiet and comfy.
2. Jacket. Since you are on a budget, go with something textile. They provide good protection, but cant be reused like leathers. Look into the armor in the jacket, you want a back plate, shoulder and elbo plates. The cheaper units use Dual layer foam, which is ok, but if you see that its got CE approved armor (KNOX ussually) then its much better. Most brands use the same armor pieces so you can purchase better armor later and change.
3. Gloves. Dont even think about riding without them. You tendants are millimiters below the skin, they snap like rubber bands, take years to heal (if ever) and... Well hand injuries just suck. Cant do shit afterwords...
4. Boots. Icon makes several models that are motorcycle specific without looking like a race boot, so you can wear them around.

Oh and welcome to SBW!!!

Edit:
Forgot to mention, check out newenough.com for some great deals...

Last edited by Vash; 01-13-2006 at 07:10 AM.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 07:07 AM

Economy Gear

Good to hear that you are factoring in gear in your purchase. That's a lot of cash for a 17 year old, and I know it takes away from the level of bike you might be able to purchase, but it is SO critical.

Ballpark figures on some decent, but affordable gear:

Helmet- $250- might want to look at HJC helmets
Jacket- $150
Gloves- $ 60
Boots- $120

Personally, I think that Fieldsheer makes some really nice gear at very affordable prices. Check out the following link:

http://brocktoncycle.com/

Any one of the bikes you are considering would be a great way to start out. My first 2 choices would be the EX-500 or the SV 650. Given your budget, you might be closer to affording the EX-500, but you should be able to pick up a really mint condition one for $2500. Stick to the 1994 and up years for the EX.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Vash
I budget about a grand for gear, but if you stick with textiles you can get away cheaper.
Things to look for.
1. Helmet- Even if you order it online, try some in a store. Find the smallest size that you can possibly squeeze into. Even if its real tight, thats the one you want. The helmet will break in after a few weeks, and become comfy. If you get one that too big it will be loose, not protect you well, and have lots of wind noise. Wind noise has more to do with fatigue on long trips than anything else. For this reason, you may want to get some earplugs, they work wonders. Personally I love the shoei RF1000. Its abit pricey, but its very light, small, quiet and comfy.
2. Jacket. Since you are on a budget, go with something textile. They provide good protection, but cant be reused like leathers. Look into the armor in the jacket, you want a back plate, shoulder and elbo plates. The cheaper units use Dual layer foam, which is ok, but if you see that its got CE approved armor (KNOX ussually) then its much better. Most brands use the same armor pieces so you can purchase better armor later and change.
3. Gloves. Dont even think about riding without them. You tendants are millimiters below the skin, they snap like rubber bands, take years to heal (if ever) and... Well hand injuries just suck. Cant do shit afterwords...
4. Boots. Icon makes several models that are motorcycle specific without looking like a race boot, so you can wear them around.

Oh and welcome to SBW!!!

Edit:
Forgot to mention, check out newenough.com for some great deals...
i dont agree with the helmet fitting.. it should just be "snug" not extremely tight.. have someone that is certified in fitting helemets fit you..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode