Maintenance costs - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 05:30 AM Thread Starter

Maintenance costs

Hi all, I'm currently in the search for a first bike. I will be buying used, and am looking in the 600cc range and considering all the popular choices out there, from the EX500, GSX600, GSF600, YZF600, CBR600, GSXr600, Honda 599, etc, etc, etc. I'm leaning more towards the sport tourers right now, as they are comfortable and yet still fast and nice looking, but usually have slightly lower power outputs stock. (if anyone has another recommendation of a bike I left out, please let me know as well) I will begin my "testing" of these bikes soon--mainly sitting on them all and seeing what is available used in my price range, and going from there. I will be using this as my daily driver for my 15 mile each way commute, but I will also like to go to the mountains and take some short trips on it.

My question though is on maintenance costs. I know many, if not all of these bikes require valve timing adjustments at certain intervals. Can anyone tell me if there is a standard interval for this service, what the price is like for the adjustments, if its possible to do yourself without taking too much time, etc? Is there a bike listed above, or similar, that does not require valve adjustments? Also, are there other maintenance issues a newbie should be aware of with any of these bikes? If someone could give me an estimate of what to expect to put into a bike on a yearly basis in maintenance that would help as well.

Thanks in advance!

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 05:45 AM
Strength and Honor

The most expensive maint item, I think, is tires, and its wholly unexpected before buying. Each tire runs $100 and up and their life greatly depends on your right hand.

The valve adjustments really aren't too big of a deal, IMO. A service manual is a must-have if you have any mechanical inclination at all and it'll save you lots of questions and money.

The only thing I'd take in for someone else to do on my old ride was the tires. And I was just beginning looking into my own tire installation setup.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 06:03 AM Thread Starter

The tires I'm actually prepared for, and that will play into my final buying decision as well when I'm finally ready to purchase.

Oh another thing to add on to my original questions.... What is considered "high mileage" for a motorcycle in either the sport or sport touring group? I see lots of mileage ranges when looking at used bikes, but don't really have an idea of what to stay away from. Is a CBR600 with 14,000 miles on it too used--will I end up putting more money into maintenance and so on? Thanks again....

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 06:26 AM
Strength and Honor

Mileage is exactly as with cars. They can (and do) exceed 100k; ask Dad and Smitty for personal examples

The mileage will be directly related in importance to how it was driven in those miles. Stunting and racing are two very hard ways of putting miles onto a ride. Aggressive riding not-so-big of a deal (that's what they're for, right?). Best of all is finding someone who's ridden it commuting, esp in high population density areas since the speeds are pretty certain to have been low, generally.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 09:52 AM

Though for someone new to m/cing I feel you are aiming at bikes with peaky engines, not as peaky as some, that make said bikes hard to handle by those new to the sport. The 500cc was as high as you want to go for your first bike. Also first of all take the MSF Course for they give you the bare basics, but things you would never have thought of & so often, the bike you had in mind, has changed to something else due to said training session.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

I will definitely be taking the MSF course before doing too much--more than likely before buying as you suggest as well. I'm leaning more towards the SV650, the GS500 and similar bikes--more upright, more comfortable, less peaky, less overall HP and so on (the SV650 has 70hp or so, with a very even/mellow powerband from what I've heard as well)....I was just trying to get an idea for all the bikes on the "consideration list" as to what to expect maintenance wise.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 04:09 PM

Everything depends on what you want.

Oil change. $3.00 a quart or $10.00?
Tires, $50 or $300 a tire?
Chain, $35 or $135?
Brake Pads, standard, HH, or ceramic?

Do it yourself? Then you save $50 to $100 an hour.

So you see it can be cheap or really expensive.

-M-
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 09:46 PM

As some have said, tires are the most painful expense. Maybe not the most expensive when you do the math over some years, but definately the most irritating. Every time you turn around, it's the goddamned tires again. And if you pick up a nail or some such, boom, the pain has just been expedited.

Valves aren't too big a deal, provided you stay with the common Japanese stuff.

Despite what some will say, Motorcycling is not a way to save money over driving a cage. When all is said and done, it's about a break even. You've got to be into it.

Good luck on the new bike.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by sidewaysducati
Despite what some will say, Motorcycling is not a way to save money over driving a cage. When all is said and done, it's about a break even. You've got to be into it.

Good luck on the new bike.
Very true especially when you factor in proper gear and insurance. Get to the safety course and ride safe!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

Well, after some more research and shopping around, I ended up buying a used 2001 SV650 with around 18k miles on it. It came with a Givi universal fairing, a Yoshi exhaust, and a Viper alarm (all good selling points to me). The bike has a few small dents from a previous tip over. As soon as my broken ankle heals, I should be all ready to ride!! I can't wait!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode