Beginner Bikes? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2006, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

Beginner Bikes?

First it was said that the SV6650 would be a good beginner bike and when looking at the old models that carried the same power as the Duc 620, then of course Japan upgraded it to its current power levels, putting it out of the hands of any smart beginner - lol - now Japan is pushing this as the newest beginner bike - http://www.ninja650.com/ - these are the same folks that tell their beginners that they must learn on a 250cc bikes their first year - whats wrong with this picture?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2006, 07:22 PM

I think they came out with the Ninja 650 as competition for the SV, since the SV650 was kind of in a class of it's own for Japanese bikes. Some people either don't want to start on a 250/500 for fear of "outgrowing" it, or just don't like the old design of the small Ninjas.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 02:15 PM

Send a message via AIM to conrice
i still think the sv is the best bike to begin on for people looking to become good riders. its not too powerful, but certainly powerful enough. It looks sporty. it has sporty ergos. it doesnt have too steep of a rake angle.

that made dropping acid seem like a mild cure for boredom

'95 F3 Smokin Joe - tried to kill me, so i returned the favor and parted it out

'03 "Titanium" CBR 954 - frame sliders, reupholstered seats, cut and gutted stock exhaust, -1/+2 520 conversion, BMC race filter

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 12:03 AM

I would never question japan, they are the uber smart.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

LOL - talk about taking the factory line!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a14cw.jpg (24.8 KB, 135 views)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 12:37 PM

There's a difference in ninja 650 and sv650. They may yield similar power in low and mid range, but the engines are quite different. Ninja 650 uses new vertical/parallel twin, same type found in ninja 250/500. While SV650/1000 has a regular sport v-twin powerplant refined from its TLS/TLR series, generally similar to RC51 and Ducs engines (besides the Desmo stuff). I don't know what the new 650r sounds like, but the old 250/500 sounded like low-pitched sewing machine, far from throaty v-twins.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 01:21 PM

does the difference in v-twin design have anything to do with sound? i thought the 250/500 sounding like a sewing machine would be because of the displacement?

'03 "Titanium" CBR 954 - frame sliders, reupholstered seats, cut and gutted stock exhaust, -1/+2 520 conversion, BMC race filter
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 04:02 PM

I am no engineer, but inline 4s, inline triples, V-4, V-5, parallel twins, single, v-twins, and GP Big Bang engines all sounded different when I hear it. Most apparent are the difference between v-twins and inline 4 since they're most common on the road

Edit: engine or cylinders layout/configuration probably does have something to do with it, as is the cylinders firing order, Ducs and Japanese twins sound significantly different than Harleys and choppers.

Last edited by Z_Fanatic; 01-18-2006 at 04:06 PM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 05:41 PM

Re: Beginner Bikes?

Quote:
Originally posted by ezblast
SV6650
Holy shit!!! a 6.6L sportbike!! And they're suggesting that as a beginner bike... are they flippin' mad!??!?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Z_Fanatic
I am no engineer, but inline 4s, inline triples, V-4, V-5, parallel twins, single, v-twins, and GP Big Bang engines all sounded different when I hear it. Most apparent are the difference between v-twins and inline 4 since they're most common on the road

Edit: engine or cylinders layout/configuration probably does have something to do with it, as is the cylinders firing order, Ducs and Japanese twins sound significantly different than Harleys and choppers.

ya i understand the differences between all of the others, i just kinda thought a sport twin sounded like a sport twin. but, i dont know how the layout is different other than it being parallel. so im sure if its really different, than it does have something to do with the sound

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode