getting a first bike next month - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-02-2006, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

getting a first bike next month

Hey guys, im going to be getting my first bike next month. Right now its at the dealers and has been so far all winter. I live up north so I was wondering if I still need to winterize it for a couple of months? If I have to, I have a few questions.

I read that I need to ride the bike around to get it warmed up so the oil is easier to change and also to get the fuel stabalizer mixed in well into the carbs. My problem is I've never rode this bike and it is my first, so how would I go about getting it warmed up for winterizing?

I also read that if I leave it running in place, the exhaust will get discolored because of the lack of cool air, and that its always better to ride it for a few minutes than to just leave it running.

What would you guys recommend me do? Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-02-2006, 06:54 PM

Sort of leaves us with a sticky question or two. Like you mentioning this will be your first bike & showing signs of not knowing to much about bikes so the question is have you taken the MSF Course?

Even with just a bit about the basics it is not the time to start riding a bike home from a shop especially as you terrain is not exactly ideal for most, in your area, have their bikes winterized so proof of the riding conditions.

Can you get the shop to hold the sale or can you have some one with a truck willing to take it from the shop to your home? You might then just put in a bit of fuel stabalizer, fire up the engine & let it run for a few minutes or more & call it quits, bar removing the battery & taking it into a cooler place in your home to put a trickle charger on it every once in a while.

Possibly by some time later on you might have finished the MSF Course & come spring pop the battery back in, check air pressure of the tyres, check oil level & fire up the bike. Then possibly to a place you can practice with a LP & insurance.

Others might come up with better answers. I have to admit I have never bought a used or new bike in the winter time & as a well experienced rider, I would know if I could or could not get the bike home bar the best day possible & willing to chance it due to lousy traction on the paverd roads this time of year.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-02-2006, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty
Sort of leaves us with a sticky question or two. Like you mentioning this will be your first bike & showing signs of not knowing to much about bikes so the question is have you taken the MSF Course?
yes I've taken the msf course last summer.

Quote:

Even with just a bit about the basics it is not the time to start riding a bike home from a shop especially as you terrain is not exactly ideal for most, in your area, have their bikes winterized so proof of the riding conditions.
yeah, the dealer will deliver it to my house in a trailer or truck or however they do it. They have they're bikes stored inside so I doubt they winterize they're bikes.

Quote:

Can you get the shop to hold the sale
Well its on layaway and it ends Feb. so I dont know if i can keep it there, i will have to ask them about it.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 03:44 AM

if your layaway ends in feb, keep it there till then and when payed off ask them to deliver it for you, as long as it is in there place they will keep it safe they dont want to lose a sale or cause any damages they would be responsable for, if you dont have a shed or a garage get a bike cover, add fuel stabilizer and remove the battery and in spring when you are ready to ride put the battery in start it run it till its fully warm change your oil and you should be ok for the season just remember to ride safe and with gear.

scott
2002 CBR 954 RR
when you are on a honda you are on the best
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 11:22 AM

As long as there isn't snow or ice on the roads.. don't bother winterizing it. Ride it!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 08:01 AM

New rider, well for one you dont warm up a bike by riding it around, you start it and let it sit and warm up and DO NOT rev the engine when engine is cold $$$$ damage..

What bike are you getting? Hope you are not getting a 929 or GSXR 1000.. Way too much power for a beginner,even a cbr,fzr,
600 are too much.. On the safety issue I hope you have a new
full face helmet, leather jacket ,gloves,leather pants...

I know , why should i care, well i hate to see a new rider in shorts,sunglasses,tshirt or whats left splattered all over the road. You must ride safe and defensive as most cars dont watch
for motorcycles ..And the wildlife (dogs,deer,cows,cats) just love
to play chicken with you...All I can say Is be very careful so good luck.. As far as the exhaust it will not discolor just warming up the bike..

Last edited by Nailer45; 01-14-2006 at 08:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode