Thank God for the Internet - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 12:44 AM Thread Starter

Thank God for the Internet

I must say this site has saved my life. I am person who wants to get into riding and was considering a 600 series bike as my first ride. All I can say to the posters on this site is thank you. I have since recanted my choice and I plan on starting on a much smaller bike. I was thinkint the Ninja EX-500 or the Suzuki GS500. Bo th look like they will suit me well, and i won't feel bad dropping it....which i probably will. Well just thought i would show some gratitude for the safety posts. Can't wait to take the MSF course and start riding. This site is now bookmarked
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 06:11 AM

Welcome to the site Vic

There are a ton of great threads that are in this forum that you, as a new rider, will be able to appreciate. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Enjoy the ride and keep both wheels down

-=bmacd=-
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 06:28 AM

Welcome to SBW!

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 10:23 AM

It makes me feel good to hear about a new rider taking the right step to learning how to ride! Welcome aboard!!

"The good, & the evil; there never really is one without the other...!?"
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 12:07 PM

I agree with YZFr6-TX & probably so many others when we hear/read someone is going to take the MSF Course & start out on a sensible m/c.

Far to often they come on with the idea of a 600cc sportbike or even more extreme & when we try to advise them on comes "I know more they you part of the brain" to argue with those that have the experiece from some that have just put in a few months of riding with a sensible bike to learn on & realize it was the best move to some with a year or 5 yrs to even more yrs of riding.

To switch from the four door family car to a two door sporty car is a simple move though switching from hiking to mountain climbing is very dramatic to deadly sport & that is what it is like from switching from a car to a m/c.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by YZFr6-TX
It makes me feel good to hear about a new rider taking the right step to learning how to ride! Welcome aboard!!

Ditto!

Welcome to SBW.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bmacd
Enjoy the ride and keep both wheels down
so says the guy w/ a wheel up in his avatar

welcome to a great and addicting sport, supported by a bunch of crazy mofos on this website
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-25-2005, 12:17 PM

You're gonna LOVE the MSF course!
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-25-2005, 12:50 PM

My first bit of m/cing was a '34 Harley-Davidson, right after WWII, & just so much more only to say it was destined to the junk disposal.

I spent hrs figuring out how the carb workd, the hand gear change lever, baffled on the spark adjustment, old fuel stunk in it, battery was shot, but with normal drinking water & a home made recharger of my Dad I got it up to something.

No 'net, no books on m/cing during the war, no parents or relatives or friends that knew a darn think about m/cs.

Must have kick it 40 or 60 timesor more, pulled out the two sparkplugs to dry them & finally it came into life to fail time & time again, let alone the number of times I put it in gear & pressed down on the clutch lever, very opposit to a cage, to engage it & down I would go again.

Just 1/2 block from my home to try & ride in the bush & around the 2nd day I realized I had a shot rear piston & more torque once I removed the rear piston.

All the m/c mags, the books & thankfullly the 'net NOW only by the time the 'net became easy to handle I was into my 50th or more year of riding, part ownership of two m/c shops, mechanic at both & manager or another.

Last edited by Smitty; 12-25-2005 at 09:52 PM.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-25-2005, 01:30 PM

That's quite a life-story, Smitty... ever consider writing an autobiography? Sounds like it would be pretty interesting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode