Kicking a dead horse. - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Kicking a dead horse.

I know everyone has asked the same question. I am a newbie like a lot of others. But I am smart enough to listen to anyone wiser than me. I am going to take the MSF course as soon as I get home also, beginner and after 6 months or so the advanced. I am asking for advice, or opinions or someones 2 pennies. I was going to get an '06 R6 or and '06 650R. I have read almost every single forum in here and many others on various websites. I just talked to one of my Officers that has been riding since 98 and he told me I would be better off with nothing higher or lower than an 03, with no more that 7k.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 06:34 PM

well, i'm certainly no wiser than you seein' as i'm still a noob myself... but if you read quite a bit here, you'll see a lot of experienced riders suggest you start w/ a 250 or 500cc bike, another suggestion is the sv650 (suzuki's version of the 650r that you can buy used). others will say its ok to start on a 600, its quite a debate that I won't go into.

so you've got choices... my only suggestion is don't buy anything brand new, because there's a very good chance of you dropping or crashing that bike.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Yea thats one of the main things that everyone is saying. I rode a 01 ninja 1000 once and I know I wont be able to handle those. I have feared getting on one since I was 17 but now I know I am more disciplined and more realistic. I have a great respect for these machines and a little fear also. But thanx for the

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 11:07 PM

I don't think milage is that big of a thing if you can tell how well the bike had been kept with matience and cleaning and what not. Like a lot of people of been suggesting a new small cc engine some others suggest going and getting a older 600. The fact that is old is going to bring the price down a lot, if you drop it, its not a big of a deal cause it was cheap. Also the fact that it is still a 600 with enough power to get you into and out of trouble but isnt as crazy super torque, super highspeed super razor shapr handling as most the supersports on the market today. Just another opinion I have gathered on the forum, not my own.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 11:44 PM

I hope you are not seriously considering an R6, because that is way too fast for you, one of the fastest bikes you can buy (as far as handling), in my opinion, and way too much for a starter bike.

Fuster

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster, and treat those two imposters the same....you'll be a Man, my Son!"

- Rudyard Kipling
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 05:09 AM

Quote:
my only suggestion is don't buy anything brand new, because there's a very good chance of you dropping or crashing that bike
i hear this from everybody, but here's another way to look at it. if you plan on fixing the damage you do to your bike when you drop it, I don't think it matters whether the bike is new or old, it's probably gonna cost you the same thing.

now if you plan on letting it get a little beat up, then buying used makes sense.

but it's not like damaging a used bike is going to be significantly less espensive than damaging a new one.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ESanders2
i hear this from everybody, but here's another way to look at it. if you plan on fixing the damage you do to your bike when you drop it, I don't think it matters whether the bike is new or old, it's probably gonna cost you the same thing.

now if you plan on letting it get a little beat up, then buying used makes sense.

but it's not like damaging a used bike is going to be significantly less espensive than damaging a new one.
There is a difference in that there are alot more of the older bikes being parted out after wrecks. Meaning cheap used parts. If you get an 06' R6 and wreck in the first month, I bet your ass is going to have to go to the dealership $$$$$$ to get pieces.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by fuster
I hope you are not seriously considering an R6, because that is way too fast for you, one of the fastest bikes you can buy (as far as handling), in my opinion, and way too much for a starter bike.

Well its like I said, I was CONSIDERING it. I dont have a lot of experience on bikes so I am asking b4 I get myself killed. I want to be able to have fun, but I also want to be able get up there when needed. I am planning on making this like a perminent vehicle. I will be riding back and forth from arizona to california almost every weekend. I was just looking at some Hondas and the CBRs look nice also. I believe there are 636s. I like the under the seat exhaust look also. But again thank you for your
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 08:30 AM
Strength and Honor

My opinion weighs simply against the race-replicas. That would exclude R6, CBR600RRs, ZX-6Rs, GSXR-600 in my book, and of course anything larger than 600cc's.

ZZR, sv650's etc would be fine in some cases (maturity is a large factor and I will no longer evaluate it online)

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by END20070803
Well its like I said, I was CONSIDERING it. I dont have a lot of experience on bikes so I am asking b4 I get myself killed. I want to be able to have fun, but I also want to be able get up there when needed. I am planning on making this like a perminent vehicle. I will be riding back and forth from arizona to california almost every weekend. I was just looking at some Hondas and the CBRs look nice also. I believe there are 636s. I like the under the seat exhaust look also. But again thank you for your
almost every weekend?! well you'll definitely have a lot of seat time and experience on the interstates

the longest i've ridden was about 120 miles straight, and i'll tell you that it gets sore as a newbie and my bike is considered fairly upright compared to the new supersports now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode