EX500 vs. Ninja 250R - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

EX500 vs. Ninja 250R

Hey guys...what are the pros and cons for a first bike between these 2? Interested to see peoples preferences and the things I may learn with the 250 that will be harder to learn with the 500.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 09:25 AM

As far as I know, they are the same bike with different bore. I'd be tempted to go for the 500.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 12:48 PM

I went for the 500 just because i wanted, what i heard ,was a great beginner bike, plus i think it looks just slightly better. (even though both aren't exactly pretty )

The 250 is smaller in size and of course cheaper. Aftermarket parts abound for the 500. Power-wise, I always thought the 500 was more powerful but recent discussions on other boards i visit have me thinking; some toss up theories about how the 250's engine is made makes it faster but ... who knows?? The 500 is a great learner's bike but can also keep a more experienced rider happy too, as long as they're not obsessed with having the latest and greatest. It's durable and more forgiving than bigger modern bikes.

Glad to hear someone else is looking at these bikes.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-18-2005, 11:06 PM

About the price... How much would you say an '04 250, dropped 3 times but no visible fairing scratches and 340 miles would cost?

Last edited by lateott_156; 12-18-2005 at 11:10 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-18-2005, 11:28 PM
Dad

I'm a 500 fan. They're definitely more powerful than the 250 and are based on a completely different platform. They're about 50-55HP at the wheel. It's what I bought for my kids to start on. I run it sometimes too as it's a TON of fun and is absolutely a quick bike in the twisties if you're running 100MPH and less. Nobody will have to wait for a good rider on that bike if the speeds are maxed at 100 to 110. If you care to read more, search for my posts on 500's. Good luck.

Keeping the "Hap" in "Happy Holidays"!

Regime change begins at home.

Blind patriotism is worse than no patriotism.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 01:35 PM

Yet a 500cc back in the late 40s to early 50s was lucky if it came stock with 14hp, no disc brakes, just a ridgid rear end & front was lucky to have 2.5" of travel, just a kick starter, three speeds, yellow like glow from the lights, points to always be worked on & simply so much more. Reason many started on 125cc like 6hp, then a 350cc new or used which offers the same only around 14 hp.
The dream of all was the mighty 1000cc Vincent HRD Rapide with all of 49hp!!!!!!!

Mind you in many cities there were not to many paved roads & more of gravel, cinders, or dirt while highways were narrow two-lane roads, with poor pavement, many stretches of gravel while still in the horse & buggie days of hwys so each highway had to go through the small towns & in each case most were dirt roads, though a few with gravel. SO a bike that had a max speed of 75mph was about as powerful as one wanted & so many only clocked 50mph on the hwys as a good speed yet not surprising to find others only coing 35mph. Just shows the change in time.

Mind you this show why most riders did NOT have accidents even with lousy handling or stopping power & no one wore a crash helmet bare a comp rider in a regular competition & normal cloth clothing was worn by most riders. Unfortunately many present day rides feel they can ride as safetly as their grandfathers & with just as scarce riding gear.

Last edited by Smitty; 12-19-2005 at 01:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode