Brand New Ninja 250 - Engine randomly dies - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Brand New Ninja 250 - Engine randomly dies

I just recently bought a brand new Kawasaki Ninja 250. I've had it for about 2 months now. Under normal use and after a proper break-in, the engine will randomly die.

At first, it will begin to act very sluggish. Pulling on the throttle will cause the engine to "skip" and start to die. If I let go, it will go back to normal. The idle will jump way high and the bike will continue to run for half a minute or so if I just let go of the throttle. Eventually, it'll just flat out die after slowly descending in RPMs.

I've taken it into the dealership 3 times and they said they haven't found anything wrong with it. It will only occasionally do this, but it leaves me stranded for several hours until it works or it gets towed.

Some times if I let it sit for half an hour or so, it'll start back up and work for another 10 minutes or so before showing the problem again.

The problem doesn't go away until I let the bike sit for a day or two. Then it will generally show up a week or more later.

It's been happening more and more frequently with time.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be?

I could really use some help. This has been very frustrating for me.

Thank you for your time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 01:07 PM

Its a carb thing. Somehow you are getting too much fuel in there. My first bike had a simular issue if I tried to ride off with the choke engaged.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

It will often ride just fine for over an hour before the problem shows, though. If it were getting too much fuel, wouldn't the problem show from the start?

Thanks for such a quick reply.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 01:25 PM

I'm really not the one to answear. I dont know carbs all that well, and generally consider them evil inventions.
I'd start with the simple things, like making sure none of the vacuum lines are kinked, and that that there isnt any dirt caked around the butterflies (or sliders, depending on the carb).
Seems like you are getting too much fuel only sometimes, and it floods the engine. Chances are, your sparkplugs are getting ruined by this, and you will most likely need new ones.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

I've asked a friend or two and one of them also said it might be a fuel problem. The other said it may be something in the electronics getting too hot.

Over all, it seems to be a fuel problem, but I've cleaned out the lines and the carb and the problem still persists.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 01:33 PM

I doubt its electrical. If something was overheating, it would cool down in a matter of minutes, and will likely melt quickly and short out all together.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

You're right. Whatever electrical problem it may be probably would have broken by now.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 01:39 PM

This may be way off, but check the fuel line from the tank to the carbs and see if there is a pinch or sharp bend in it.

My roommates F3 had a spring looking thing on the fuel line and we lost it after we painted the bike and replaced the fuel lines(keeps the fuel line from folding). We didnt think anything of it, but it caused us problems later. What happened is when the engine heated up the fuel line would expand. Where the curve was the tightest would kind of fold cutting off fuel supply. Now if you mashed the gas and the carbs opened up you could get the engine to try to suck up more gas but ultimately the engine would die. When the bike cooled off the tube went back to its original postion and the bike was fine. Took us a week to realize what was happening.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by drgreenthum
This may be way off, but check the fuel line from the tank to the carbs and see if there is a pinch or sharp bend in it.
I'll definately keep an eye out for this. Thanks.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 09:18 PM

If I may be so bold....I'd suggest finding another Kawi dealer...it's obvious that your dealer isn't taking the time to Find the problem, i.e they don't want to ride the bike long enough for the problem to show up..is my guess...

Just out of curiosity...do you have a manual choke on your bike..?

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode