Advice/Opinions Wanted Please - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 02:31 AM Thread Starter

Question Advice/Opinions Wanted Please

1st off I'm new to the forums so hello all!

I've ridden dirt bikes off and on for about 2 yrs. (125's & 250's), owned Rebels (250 & 450), rode those for about a yr each. I've never owned a sportbike, but I am in the next 2 weeks or so going to purchase one...I'm just a little unsure as to which type/size to get. I am a cautious rider, but not overly cautious...The only time I push the envelope is offroad & when I'm fully geared up..never on the street..too many crazies out there.

I've been looking at a '91 CBR600F2 and a '00 Katana 600. I know most say not to start off with the 600cc class, but I do have some exp/skills..not much but a little.

I'm 5'8 @ 185lbs, at this size a older yr 600cc wouldn't be too large or bulky or way too powerful correct?

I've heard that the kantuna is a bit heavy and awkward during slow maneuvers...any truth to this?

Also, the learning curve...with the little exp. I do have will adjusting to the sportbike style be a little easier?

I am taking the MSF course offered here in Phx. b4 I purchase the bike.

I'm sure the braking, turning, throttling are much different from dirt & whatever class the rebels are in....is this also true?

Any thoughts, opinions and or advice would be welcomed.

Thanks!

Pulpz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 05:40 AM

I recommend the F2 (or F3 if you can find one). The dont start with 600 applies to newer '00+ 600s.

You'll do fine. Welcome to SBW

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 10:04 AM

I purchased my first bike this summer, a 2002 Katana 600, and I love it. Yes, it is a bit heavy and bulky but it has all the power you need to get in and out of trouble. Besides that, it is very comfortable to ride. With the ergo's and the seat, I've been on the bike for 4 or 5 hours at a time with no problem. Good to hear you are taking the MSF course.

Good luck and welcome. Any questions about the Katana give me a shout.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 04:41 PM

F3's are great bikes. Good luck with the whole "cautious" thing.. that'll be left in the dust in a week or two.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by PPPope
I purchased my first bike this summer, a 2002 Katana 600, and I love it. Yes, it is a bit heavy and bulky but it has all the power you need to get in and out of trouble. Besides that, it is very comfortable to ride. With the ergo's and the seat, I've been on the bike for 4 or 5 hours at a time with no problem. Good to hear you are taking the MSF course.

Good luck and welcome. Any questions about the Katana give me a shout.
Well, I'll tell ya what, there use to be this older dude in So. Cali that rode a old katana. I haven't riden on the street in a couple of yrs..so I don't if he's still around, anyways, up in the mountians, all these so called Fast sportbike riders use to sorta test their skillz...thought they/ we wer goin pretty good, Until...this old dude on the beat up katana came flyin around us on the outside..talk about gettin humbled...

Anyhow, just thought I'd share that with Y'all...

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-17-2005, 09:38 AM

Response to 600cc F2 or Katana?

I would suggest the Honda rather than the slow, akward, heavy Katana with crappy brakes by comparison. The Honda was rated the best 600cc sportbike for the first four years of the 1990's(possibly longer, I didn't ride street between '94 and '03). The power and speed of those bikes were still way down on power from todays standards and the rev limits were also half orf what they are today, so I would say in my opinion that it would be a great transitional bike for someone with your experience. You will find that the acceleration in the lower ranges of the revs to be less abrupt than a 250cc 2 stroke dirtbike and you will have better traction on the street.

Last edited by extremewrecker; 12-17-2005 at 09:42 AM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-17-2005, 03:18 PM

My $.02.....Ride both and then make your choice. You have most of the battle won already by asking the right questions.

Buy what you like; I think you'll do just fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode