Honda VTR250? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
ELX

Honda VTR250?

Hey guys,
I had another more general thread. But now i have a clearer idea of what i want to buy for my first sportbike. I figured id make a new one. Basically, in the next month or so i will be buying my first sportbike when i get my license. Here in QLD, Australia it has to be under 250cc for learners. I was thinking of buying a Suzuki RGV250 (2 stroke sportbike), or a Honda CBR250. But i realised that i don't want something like that to learn on. I have been riding dirt for a couple of months. But i started on a bike thatís to powerful for me and as a result i havenít had the best experience. I never learnt vital things like cornering, braking, clutch work ect. I just got out there and road. I really don't want that to happen again with the road. I want something that i can ride everyday. It will always start, be learner friendly, have an agreeable and controllable power range and "attitude". Just something forgivable ect. And a road race 2 stroke like the nsr isn't that. I want to get something nice and friendly, that i wont be scared of, and will be able to have fun with sensibly. The road is a dangerous place after all! Just that after not learning properly on the yz and always worrying about corners ect. I want to start a fresh, get a nice fun reliable user friendly bike. Go to a nice open space first off. Practice corners ect. than move up rather than jumping in the deep end. Anyway, a bike I found that seems to fit all these needs is the Honda VTR250. It's a naked bike which means itís cheaper if i drop it. There's a lot for sale here in Australia, which means I can get a newer one (say 2000) model for my money. There learner friendly, and ill be able to learn all the skills on it, and be able to have fun knowing that it's not going to hit a power band and leave me at the lights. It's still a sport bike, so it will have some kick for those weekend rides im planning to go on. But Iíd rather get into the sport on the right foot, than the wrong one like i did with the yz. Anyway im just wondering if you guys recon it seems like a good idea? Here's a link to the specs, pictures ect.

http://www.hondamotorcycles.com.au/m...try/vtr250.htm

Let me know what you guys think of the idea! Also if anyone has had one, or knows of any other bikes that are similar, Yamaha's, Suzuki's ect. Let me know! Thanks again, Ridesafe.

Tom k
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 05:54 AM

I've never ridden one, but looks like a good bike. Love the looks, they are very duc like. My only reservation is the relativly puny looking brakes.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-09-2005, 01:53 PM

Re: Honda VTR250?

Hi ELX,

I live an hour south of Brissie.

Have you been out and sat on everything, or are you just going off looks / size at this stage?

My fiance and I went and sat on EVERYTHING when we bought our first bike, a ZZR 250. We went to every bike shop we saw and sat on every different model 250 we could find. We liked the look of the CBR but hated the riding position. The ZZR is a bit more upright and comfortable, especially for a noob. It also has a tad more hp than the VTR .

We've been two-up on it many times, up Tamborine and also to Maleny, so it's got no problem handling a bit of weight (we total 135kg).

When I spoke with my insurance company (Suncorp) I was told that it cost no more to insure a fully-faired bike than it would for a naked. All of the plastics were part of the coverage too!

Ours is a '99 model. We paid $5000, but it only had 11,000k's on it and was immaculate. Also, they haven't changed since they started making them, so spares are a breeze.

Anyway, I reckon it's a great little bike with great looks, but I'm a bit biased. Where abouts in Brisbane are you? I live in Beaudesert and work in Darra. If you're not far, I'd be happy to bring it to you so can have a good look at it.

Send me a PM.

Ciao,

Jason (cookeetree)

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode