Complete big/tall newb needs a first bike - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Complete big/tall newb needs a first bike

I'd like to get some input on a good starter sport bike so I can budget for a purchase in Jan. I'm selling my 99GT mustang, and although most of the $ I need to put towards school, right now I'm estimating I can put about 4K towards a bike and all the gear I need.

A little about me, I'm 24, never riden a motorcycle in my life. ha. Although, I have ridden quads. I'm 6'4 and about 210lbs and fit. Lastly, I'm taking the MSF this month...

My main concerns are finding a bike that fits my stature, getting all the safe gear I need, and of course, a safe bike, but one that I can grow into. Although I wouldn't do it at first, it would be nice to be able to comfortably carry a passanger once I'm comfortable. I dont know what if any beginner bikes accomodate 2 people well?

So what are my options? Is a Ninja 250/500 good. Is an F4i too much? Does your body weight make a sizable difference in a selection between say 500/600/650?

Thanks

Last edited by trib; 12-03-2005 at 05:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 05:34 PM

welcome, you're gonna get a bunch of different opinions on starting with a 600, some will say it will be fine starting with a 500 with your size, others will tell you that they've done fine starting on a 600.

I'm still pretty new, started on a 600, but i picked up an f3. If 4 grand is your total budget for a bike and gear(and don't forget insurance) then starting on an f4i might be a problem.

on taking the msf course first also.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

Nah the 4k is just the bike + gear.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 04:52 AM

i'm still pretty new myself, like "bought my first motorcycle in august without ever riding one" new. and basically have taught myself to ride, only because all the MSF classes around here were booked, looking to grab one in the spring, anyway, i bought an 05 ninja 636. i'm 6'2" 260lbs. i took my time and learned, i was scared, nervous, any of the emotion you feel doing something like that, but i feel the 636 was very forgiving for me, and i was getting to feeling really good on it until old man winter came along and she went into the garage. i know an 05 is out of your $ range, but i'd go for an older 600, which also won't have the new 600 power, and should last you power wise for awhile. till you can afford that new 600.

just my thoughts as a new rider with a "to big for a starter" bike
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 07:00 AM

Get an old street legal dirt bike to learn on.

They are cheaper, taller, and easier to handle. You can crash/drop/dump it for a lot less $'s.

Then move to a bigger 600-1200 sport bike after you've learned the ropes.

No matter what sportbike you decide to get, at 6'4" NO Sportbike/motorcycle is "comfortable".

A few ccs short of a full litre.

Last edited by mac020; 12-04-2005 at 07:08 AM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 09:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to xboxdynasty
I am 6'2 and fit pretty nicely into my YZF 600
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 11:11 PM

on the MSF course...get an older bike that you can pay cash for.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 07:50 AM

Yea, I am 6'3, 215 and fit on my R6 just fine.
I would caution about learning on a dirt bike(dual sport). They don't have anything close to the power of a sportbike, so no matter how much time you rack up on one, the power will be brand new. Also, they are totally different riding position, so steering it will feel a lot different. After you take the course, I would look into a 500 or a sv650.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 12:41 AM

I would have to say go with at least a 500 if not a 600. Mid to late 90's. They really arn't all that powerfull once you get the hang of it. Most people I see that start on a 250 end up with a 5/600 with in months of their first bike. As far as putting someone on back any 600 should be just fine. I'm 6'1 and a whole lot of pounds and I started on a 500 and thought it was to small. Start with something bigger so you can grow into it and not out of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode