"I don't want to outgrow it." WTF?! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

Question "I don't want to outgrow it." WTF?!

After 27 years of motorcycle riding and racing I still can't figure out what the f*ck these newbies are talking about when they express their concern about growing out of a new sportbike. Ok, I understand the basic premise (i.e. will they grow tired/bored of it), but the idea of growing (as a rider) out of any motorcycle is a bit ridiculous. Especially when you consider that any modern sportbike is exponentially more capable than the VAST majority of riders who flog them. The notion that you will learn this fine art of riding so quickly that your expert-level sportbike will no longer satisfy you is ridiculous and I guess I've reached a point (in my young age) that my patience has run out for this ridiculous notion.

I look at the stables/collections of the experienced riders I respect and I look at my own collection and I see bikes ranging from 125cc up to 1000+cc. In fact, one of the bikes I own that gives me (perhaps) the biggest grin is my '66 Suzuki T20, which is a 250cc 2-stroke, hardly a monster, but amazingly cool and agile. So why is it that with all these bikes at my disposal and over 25 years in motorcycling I haven't grown out of my little 250?

My shopmates race 125 GPs and wouldn't trade their bikes for the world. And with all their combined racing/riding experience, why haven't they grown out of their little 125s?

So to all the newbies I say, "GET OVER YOURSELF!" If you're really a rider you'll enjoy anything with 2 wheels that you can throw a leg over. And if you remain a student of the sport you'll appreciate the experience any bike can provide.

Last edited by slaintedan; 12-01-2005 at 02:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 02:05 PM

Well said.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 02:10 PM

But with a 250cc bike, how will newbs ride like squids on the highway??

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 02:16 PM

maybe we should start a poll.. "How long did it take you to learn to ride your bike to the limit" with the choices of
3 days
2 weeks
year
still learning

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 02:16 PM

They say that out of ignorance. What I mean by that is they don't realize how much fun a smaller bike can be, because they haven't really experienced motorcycling yet.

My first bike was a Ninja 250, and I really miss riding it. If I had money just to throw away, I'd buy another as a second bike. I'd love to "go back" and see how much better I could corner it now, and that bike is so light and flickable...they're a blast. But at the time, I couldn't wait to get something bigger and better.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Vash
maybe we should start a poll.. "How long did it take you to learn to ride your bike to the limit" with the choices of
3 days
2 weeks
year
still learning
Pffft...never, so "still learning."

I'm on my third bike, and just starting to get the itch to do my first trackday. Unfortunately because I'm in New England that's not until next spring/summer.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
3 days
2 weeks
1 year
Still learning
That's a great idea. I think we need a moderator to set that up... hint, hint.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 04:40 PM

Quote:
3 days
2 weeks
year
still learning
Awww, c'mon.... 3 days???!!!

Sh*t, mate, it only took me 3 HOURS!!!!

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 08:12 PM

Do not look upon me as a possible moderator for I am 75+ yrs of age with 59 yrs of riding & I am STILL learning. About the only bikes I found out I could ride beyond their possible limit was 125cc two-strokes & 350cc OHV singles of the late 40s & early 50s.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 08:59 PM

Send a message via AIM to 97yzfinwyo Send a message via Yahoo to 97yzfinwyo
1ST RIDE

Man I turned squidly on my first ride at three years old! went right thru the neighbors fence. Damned if I could remember where that brake was on that little mini bike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode