But I Don't Want a Harley! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

But I Don't Want a Harley!

Big problem. My Dad is totally cool with me getting another bike, problem is he wants me to get a Harley Davidson 883r Sportster. It's not that he has anything against sportbikes, he actually likes them. Problem is that he is looking at the bike as an investment and argues that a Harley will have a much lower depreciation rate as it gets older, a fact that I really can't argue with since he has never lost money on any Harley he's bought and the NADA website confirms it too. Any ideas out there to convince him otherwise? Like I said, it's not a lost cause since he has no problem with sportbikes, it's just the resale/investment issue. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 09:13 AM

Send a message via AIM to conrice
push that you want a better bike.....tell him that although harleys may lose less value....the repairs that you'll have to make to the harley will outweigh the money you'll save on depreciation values. tell him that sportbikes are still better on gas mileage...and if you drop it, neither bikes will be worth much. plastic doesnt cost as much as chrome
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 09:19 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
Do you plan on selling the bike, or owning it through it's entire lifecycle? If you plan to ride it into the ground, then resale value is not of concern to you.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 10:28 AM

And sportbikes can travel at highway speeds! Yippie!!!

All kidding aside though, Con has a great point with the maintence/repair argument. Who cares if you buy a bike for $10,000 and sell if for $12,000 if you spent $8,000 repairing things that shouldn't break in the first place!

Last edited by matrixman; 12-01-2005 at 10:32 AM.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 10:42 AM

My roommate owns a 883 sportster, so here is my input.
The do drop less in value for every mile ridden. However
1.In 20k miles the bike is showing a leaking head gasket. Thats an expansive repair.
2.You are getting much less bike for your money. the 883 puts out under 40hp. HD rates them as more, but they put the HP figure at rpm that is above their rev limiter.
3. HD does not believe in using wether proof materials. This all your fastners and brackets will corrode very quickly.
4. HD uses very odd sized tires (21" front rim). While they last longer than those on a sportbike, they are much more expansive to replace.
5. If the PRIMARY chain isnt properly maintained it will slap and chew up your primary gasket. Your bike will leak tranny oil. You know how much I maintain my primary chain? NONE.
6. The brakes on the sportster absolutely suck. They plain out dont stop worth a damn, which is a safety factor.
7. Wit the initial price of both bikes being relativly low, the ammount on money saved by better resale is fairly insagnificat. If we were talking about a $30k car, this would be a different story, but when you are talking about a few grand over some years.. is enyone really going to notice?
8. Harleys still drop in value. There is a myth that their value only goes up but thats crap. You know anyone who would pay more for a ridden couple of year old harley as they would for a new one? Niether do I.
9. Harley technology is downright shamefull. The engine was last redesigned in the 80's and it was absolete when it was brand new. The forks are not adjustable at all, the shocks are adjustable for preload only. The forks flex in corners making the bike seasaw when going at what is very moderate pace by sportbike standarts (I'm talking "I'm going to enjoy the scenery pace") The swing arm is whimpier than any dirtbike. Its something that shouldnt be on a scooter. It also flexes, as does the entire frame.
10. 883's dont have a gas gage, or a low light. The only way to tell how much gas you got is to look inside the tank.
11. The clutch sucks. You need gorilla arms to operate it. Forget about 2 finger operation, its not happening.
12. They dont wheelie, they dont stoppie. Dont tell your dad that.
13. Fuel injection is a whole lot easier to live with than carburation.

All of this really applies to the pre-05 sportsters. the '05 were improved in the engine dept, with a few more hp (so its like 41 now) and a counter balancer to keep the vibes in check. This will help longevity, but there are still plenty of concerns not adressed.

post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 11:22 AM

My days of HD or Indians are way, way in the past & definately not in my interest. I do know of a few chaps that have riden various HD bikes for some yrs, but then they are pretty good wrenchers & help each other in some occasions. One sent his 4 yr old whatever HD people name them, though definately not a Sportster, off to someplace like Alberta Cdn. Which is like two or four States away, to have it modified from a four to six speed. Tells me he cannot believe in the change & should have done this some yrs back even it it was COSTLY though not an attractive looking bike it does function well.

A chap, at the gym yesterday, that owns a large Suzy cruiser, no one at the gym rides a sportbike for they all putter along with HD or cruisers (this is the land of older riders so 95% rider HD or Cruisers though I am older then they are being 75 yrs of age)------the very thought of riding a sportbike frightens them. Anyway it seems his son, in three years is now into his fourth HD m/c--------I wonder how much he lost in selling the prior three HD bikes for I know the first one was a Sportster. The father has been riding the same Kwacker Cruiser for past four yrs & yes he clocks a lot of miles at below the max speed limit as he likes touring like down to California from central part of B.C. Cdn & back again plus other tours in Cdn.

Interesting thing is we compared milage of '05 & though I was out for around a month (june 10th to late July ) with a loss of balance due to inner ear infection, I clocked more miles then he did on my three sportbikes with only 4 to 8 hr runs each time for I do not tour & it is out for the run & back home the same day.

Last edited by Smitty; 12-01-2005 at 11:28 AM.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

All nice ideas, but I need some way to prove it to him...Since I know the Harley will have big repair costs, does anyone know of a way I could possibly figure out the long term cost, maybe the cost per mile or yearly operating costs between the 883r Sportster and a sportbike (GSXR 750, SV1000)? Anything, I need to do whatever it takes!!!
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 71custom
All nice ideas, but I need some way to prove it to him...Since I know the Harley will have big repair costs, does anyone know of a way I could possibly figure out the long term cost, maybe the cost per mile or yearly operating costs between the 883r Sportster and a sportbike (GSXR 750, SV1000)? Anything, I need to do whatever it takes!!!
Who's buying the bike? You also said another bike. What kind of scoot are you coming off of?
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 02:14 PM

ok. take the initial value of say an '03 SV650 and 883. then take their blue book after 2 years, with 10k miles (assuming 5k/yr)
find out the difference between the two. Take that difference, and devide is by $45 (going rate of shop labor) and that should tell you how many hours of labor it will take to make up the difference. You can further devide that number in half since most jobs run half labor half parts. Then look at the hour figure, and try to find a repair job or two that will likely take that much time. Ask your dad if you are likely to expirience those types of problems in your first 2 years of riding a sportster.

Dont they teach math in schools anymore?

post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 02:21 PM

Are we talking new or used?

If he's set on getting a sportster, try to get him to opt for a 1200. Or for that matter a new Buell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode