is the price right? ('93 cbr 600) - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 06:09 AM Thread Starter

is the price right? ('93 cbr 600)

ok so i just got my first car (18) and will be a waiter soon so ill be raking in decent money. ive wanted a bike since i was about 14 or 15 and have been getting the mags and browsin the forums and have a fairly good range of knowlegde on the subject considering i dont have a past in the sport.

continueing to the point, i have a good friend who has access to many types of vehicles and bikes (dad is a car auction dealer for exotics) and so i ask him for a cheap bike, preferably a 600, allowing for light to moderate cosmetic damage (considering ill probably drop it and i dont care what it looks like to much), i dont mind if its old but the most important factors are that it must be in good running condition and cheap.

so my reply is a '93 (thats pretty damn old) honda (good company for old bikes) cbr 600 f2(right size) that is yellow and black (right colors) with a brand new transmission and tires.

now my question is, keeping in mind that hes a good friend and will certainly give me one hell of a deal, what should be a reasonable offer...btw i will be checking it out in the near future.

i was thinking around 2000 considering kelly blue book value says 2900.

Last edited by RealRacer2305; 11-30-2005 at 06:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 07:42 AM

The right price is the price you are willing to pay.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 08:29 AM

Definatly wouldn't pay more than 2 grand for something so old. You might try to found out some background aswell when looking for used bikes. forinstance, why did it need a new transmission?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

ya i know its old as hell but its in goood condition. i went to school with this kid since second grade and i know he takes good care of his stuff and even better care of his friends so i dont imagine he would sell me a lemon or something not worth the money. i should prolly try and get it down to 1500 but i think it has alot of aftermarket parts (i have yet to see it in person) so idk how much of a determining factor that is. how much does a new transmission cost on a bike like that? if it costs 500 dollars then obviously the price of the bike will be steeper.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 09:29 AM

Having to put in a new tranny doesn't raise the value of the bike. IF anything it should lower it. All that means is the bike had the crap ridden out of it and needed a new one. Wear and tear. How many miles are on it?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 11:03 AM

I thought the bike was from an auction? You cant be sure how it was maintained by its previous owner. Another tip, depending on your state, like in NY - NEVER BUY A SALVAGE TITLE its a real pain in the ass (in NY) to get it retitled to a working title.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 02:15 PM

I agree with psudy along with what slick says for I note this line of yours being "--(dad is a car auction dealer for exotics)--" which sounds more like his dad looked around for a cheap 600.

Lot of bikes in their early 80s & simply no cog box ("tranny" in your words) problems & you will probably find much older bikes that still have NOT had said problems as they were not trashed by the prior owners.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode