Young Rider Insurance Woes... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Young Rider Insurance Woes...

Howdy! So, I've drooled over sportbikes since I was 12, have had a streetbike (cruiser style though...) since I was fourteen. Now that I'm eighteen and a little more experienced I' looking at a GSXR 750 for my next bike. Problem is, as most guys know, insurance is ridiculous (thank you idiot riders for making me pay for your stupidity/immaturity...). I was wondering if anybody out there has any advice on what I can do to actually afford the insurance on a Gixxer since I'm not into the whole illegally riding thing. Planning on liability only, but still pretty steep. Any advice would be amazing, thanks. Oh yea, I'm 18 if it helps, good grades, clean record, etc...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 01:26 PM

First off, I would highly recommend getting full coverage. The chances of you wrecking the thing are just too high, regardless of your skill level. If you dont believe me, browse these forums, plenty of expirienced riders getting into wrecks. And it really sucks having to pay on a bike that has been totalled.
If you dont get that, at least get medical. Again, ER visits get expansive.

Now to the main question. In my expirience, bike insurance is cheaper than car insurance. I pay less to insure a '05 zx10 than an '02 f150.
But a great deal of that depends on the company, and the location at which the bike is registered. Call different companies, see how much the quote differ. A great many people had success with state farm, because they dont seem to diffirentiate the bike by class (cruiser vs sportbike) but rather just by CC. It cost me the same to insure a z1000 (street bike) as it did a zx10 (race rep), since both of them are 1000cc.
Also, if you live in a large metroplex area (this is the shady part) see if you can register your bike at the adress of some relatives that live in a little podunk town in the middle of knowhere. Insure the bike there as well, make sure your bills go there, and your registration papers. I dont know how legal that is, but your chances of getting caught are pretty slim. If you call upon your insurance and they ask about the adress, tell them you just moved. Or you were out visiting.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 03:15 PM

Libality only cost me around $300 for a year of insurance on my bike. My car on the other hand was near $200 a month. I am 18 aswell with a clean driving record.

P.S. I believe a rider safety course (MSF) will lower your insurance on your bike by 10% and remove upto 4 points on your licence.

Last edited by slick1537; 11-29-2005 at 03:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode