Who wants to help me?? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
ELX

Who wants to help me??

Gday guys,

Iím just about to turn 16 and a half which means that I am finally old enough to get my motorcycle learners license. Iíve been riding dirt bikes for about 6 months now, i have a 95 Yamaha yz125. Anyway the thing is that i was planning to buy something similar to a Honda xr250, or ttr250. Both of which are road registrable dirt bikes. However i rode an xr250 today, it wasnít that inspiring. I love off road riding, but i prefer a motocross style which is why i chose the yz125 in the first place. The whole reason i wanted to get the registrable dirt bike was so that i could ride to dirt biking locations as well as to school everyday, general commuting ect. But seeing as i cant do any off road riding styles i like (motocross) on an xr250 I have changed my mind. Now i am looking for a road bike instead.

Iíve always been a big fan of sport bikes and always planned to own one at some stage. However now Iím looking at buying one. I want something that can handle riding short distances, say 10 kmís everyday and maybe say 100 kmís on the weekend. Possibly more or less. I want something that is electric start and will be ultra reliable and as maintenance free as humanly possible I was looking at a cbr250, or fzr250 but i read that there not to fast? I defiantly want something with a bit of kick that will have snappy acceleration ect, lots of power and a high top speedÖ.Well as high as possibleÖ...Only problem is there here in Brisbane, Australia, learners can only have up to a 250cc bike. I want the fastest sport bike i can get for that! I was looking at 2 strokes, like the nsr250, rgv250. but can they take everyday riding? Be reliable, not need to much work to often? What do you do for premix petrol? Anyway basically Iím just writing to see what you guys think i should do? What bike do you think would suit me best? I only have a budget of say $4000 AUD. So i will have to be second hand. Anyway thanks in advance guys! Great site.

Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 04:49 AM

Wow, limited to a 250? Some people will say that is all you need but I won't comment on that. As far as two strokes go, I don't know about australia, but you wont find many street legal two strokes in the US do to how much polution they make. Also the fact that mixing oil in with your gasoline sounds like a real pain in the ass. Acording to my studies (never riden a two stroke) they have a very narrow power band, but within the powerband they are very efficent, which means you will be shifting like crazy to stay within the band and probably will be a pain to ride. Anyone who knows more about two stroke correct me if I am wrong. I would say a kawasaki ninja 250 would probably be a good bet. They have alright styling as far as smaller sportbikes go, and I heard they can go pretty fast. It is 4-stroke so it will probably be easier to maintain.

EDIT: Here is a link to the ninja250 site - http://www.kawasaki.com/product_deta...tag=motorcycle
you will have to pick the select model thing and scroll down.

Plus they are only 3 grand USD, not sure how much money that is in aulstralia.

Last edited by slick1537; 11-27-2005 at 04:54 AM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 04:54 AM

The CBR 250 isn't in the US, but since I'm a Honda guy.. I'll have to say go for that. I have absolutely no facts or experience to back up that advice though, except for the fact that Honda's are easy and cheap to maintain!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 04:58 AM

Hmm, the cbr 250 is a 4-stroke aswell. Also look way better than the ninja in my opinion.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 05:04 AM Thread Starter
ELX

The cbr has a nicer shape, but im more worried about the bike it'self. I will probably go for a 4 stroke, as mixing fuel would be a BIG problem, so is noise ect. I get enough trobule from my yz125! The yamaha fzr250 is also a 4 stroke. Supposedly there slightly faster than the cbr250.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-28-2005, 07:44 AM

If you have to stay with a 250, then I would get a crossover bike. Have you tried the Suzuki DRs? I would just think that since you live in Aus, you have have a lot of oportunity to go out on the trails. Could be wrong, but if I had to get anything smaller than my 600, it would be a crossover.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 12:05 PM

Re: Who wants to help me??

G'day Tom.

Let me start by welcoming you to SBW!! This is a great site with enough combined knowledge to answer just about ANY bike related (and most non-bike related) questions you may have.

It's good to see another Aussie on board, especially a QLD'er!!! I'm about an hour south of Brisbane.

Now, about your intended bike. I originally was heading for a cruiser style bike, like the Kawasaki Eliminator, which is a 250cc. However, after sitting on one, I found I HATED the seating position of cruisers and went looking at sport bikes instead. My fiance, who started riding the same time as myself, couldn't stand the position either.

After sitting on just about every model available, new and old, we settled on the ZZR 250. It has a more upright position that the CBR, etc, which just felt "right" for us. Being that you're coming from a dirt bike, it might be a feel you'd enjoy. Ours is a '99 model (red and black), bought for $5000, but it only had 11,000 km's on it.

As for power, it's only got 40hp. I weigh 85kg (187lbs), but it didn't stop me from winding that little thing out to 160km/h (100mph). It pulls quite hard for a little bike and I've embarrassed quite a few young guys who thought their jap import cage was quick. It's also left the odd HD rider with egg on his face. Mrs Tree and I often went two-up on it also. She's 50kg (110lbs), so we had about 135kg (300lbs) on it. It still went up Tamborine with ease and also took us up to Maleny. It was my daily rider to work (130km return), but I've done up to about 300km on it in one day.

It's got an 18L tank (16L main + 2L reserve) and gets around 320km on the main (depending how you ride )

Anyway, I've rambled on long enough. My only other suggestions are these:

1. Go do a Q-Ride course. We did ours at Pro Honda, under Grant. He was fantastic.

2. Don't forget to budget for gear.

Take it easy.

Jason (cookeetree)

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode