Did I get ripped off? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2005, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Did I get ripped off?

I know its definatly not the cheapest price in the world but I want to make sure that I wasn't taken advantage of. I was having some work done on my bike at a shop down town. $400 later they were done, I knew thats how much it was gunna be so thats not the problem. I went down there to pick up my bike and they told me they just found a screw in my front tire. The tire was getting old I knew I needed to replace it but just not there. Anyways I had no way to load it onto something and take it somewere else to have it done since that would have cost me more that just doing it there. They charged me $125 for a new dunlop 208 after mounting and balance. Its the front tire on my bike.

Thanks,
Sepias
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2005, 04:14 PM

$90.00 for the tire and $35-$40 to remove wheel from bike isn't out of line. Next time take the wheels off yourself and you'll save some $$s.

A few ccs short of a full litre.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2005, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

Good to know it wasn't a complete rip. Thanks for the quick response.

Sepias

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2005, 06:16 PM

Any shop / dealer should contact you first about ANY work done, outside the scope of what's on the work order...cuzz they need your approval....at least they do here in cali..

125.00 is fairly cheap....you got off lucky imho..

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2005, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

They didn't do anything about the tire or even tell me about it until I got there and my ride had left. They left me in a vulnerable spot and I think they new it. Im not going back there again. They forgot to change the oil, and I noticed that my temp was running high when I was idleing so I figured they didn't check the engine coolant, sure enough when I got home it was about an inch down. The engine ran fine and cool when I was going but as soon as I would come to a stop light I could see the temp rise. It never got near the red line though. It hit about 95*c max. The work they did do seems to be good though lol. And if any of you are wondering were I had the work done it was Barneys of Brandon, Fl. I know several people that like them there, but I will never be going back.

Sepias
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2005, 07:27 PM

I wouldn't be too worried if your temp rises pretty fast while you're at a standstill. As long as the a) fan kicks in so it doesn't overheat and b) the temp drops back down once you start moving.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2005, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

I'm not worried, I'm just ticked that they didn't check it like they were suppose to. As soon as I would get up to around 20mph the temp would drop real fast it was only at the idle. I'm also not use to idling since Im still learning to ride I haven't spent much/any real time at stop lights and so on so I never even really thought about the air not going over the radiator till it happened. Anyways thanks for the responses all.

Sepias
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2005, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SepiasSoul
They didn't do anything about the tire or even tell me about it until I got there and my ride had left. They left me in a vulnerable spot and I think they new it. Im not going back there again. They forgot to change the oil, and I noticed that my temp was running high when I was idleing so I figured they didn't check the engine coolant, sure enough when I got home it was about an inch down. The engine ran fine and cool when I was going but as soon as I would come to a stop light I could see the temp rise. It never got near the red line though. It hit about 95*c max. The work they did do seems to be good though lol. And if any of you are wondering were I had the work done it was Barneys of Brandon, Fl. I know several people that like them there, but I will never be going back.

Sepias

If FL law is anything like cali....the frt tire was UNauthorized..meaning you could have walked out without paying legally...

When I said you were lucky, I was refering to the price of the tire, and labor....

As for getting Quality work done...good idea is to check with local roadracers...they are a great source of info. re: bikes..

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2005, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Yea Ive talked to a few other people and they have told me about a guy in lakeland that does good work at a low price, I need to replace my rear tire so I'm gunna give him a try. Is $125 after mount and balance a good price for a 180 Metzler M1?

Thanks,
Sepias
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 12:38 AM

Same thing happened to me 2months into riding my first bike. I got a flat, had my insurance tow the bike to a local shop that I spoke with on the phone. They charged me 200$ for a Dunlop208 180/55/17 and something like 100$ for labor. Total $327. I then checked a local company called CycleGear in town and they had the same exact tire for instore pick up for 129$. That just pisses me off that a dealer can sell tires like that, i will not take my business back to them for that reason. I did go out and buy pitbull stands and a matching front D208 and took it off myself and brought it into Cyclegear for 15$ to put it on. Well its just another lesson to add to the book.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode