What kind of tires and wwhat does 160/60 mean? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2005, 07:09 AM Thread Starter

What kind of tires and wwhat does 160/60 mean?

Well I need a new rear tire and I think I might as well replace the front one too. I was just curious as to which tire to get. I want something that will last for a LONG time and still have plenty of traction since I love to ride my bike hard. I'm kinda on a budget. So basically I need something that:

- Will last several thousand miles
- Has plenty of traction
- Is reasonably priced

Also I notice on tires they all have something like 160/60 for the rear or 190/50 for the rear,etc. What does all this mean?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2005, 09:22 AM

I would recommend replacing the tires with stock rubber. I'm sure Honda did a good bit of homework to put good shoes on your baby. Your OEM's are great all-around street tires and can even take more on the track than most riders can dish out.

As far as the numbers, here's some good info:
http://foreven.com/motorcycles/Tyres/JoshOnTires.htm

Hope this helps.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2005, 09:23 AM

Ok.... a 160-60zr17, 160mm wide, 60% of the width is the sidewall height, zr - speed rating, 17in wheel. Now you can't just put any tire on your bike. Let me know what size tire you have now, what bike you have, and I will look up some tires for you. Budget tire shopping is hard to do. You can't have a cheap, sticky, high milage tire. Those three things just don't get used in the same sentence.

For example: Dunlop D208 ZR 160/60zr17 $182.95
This is a decent tire a lot of people use. You can spend $150 or $350 on a tire, so you will have to tell me your price cap too. If your getting a front tire give me the size you have on that one too.

-M-

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2005, 09:31 AM

Sorry didn't look at your current motorcycle listing. So you should have a 120/70ZR17 on the front and a 180/55ZR17 on the rear. So let me know what you want to spend and I can look through our books and let you know.

-M-
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2005, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by mstrand_68
Sorry didn't look at your current motorcycle listing. So you should have a 120/70ZR17 on the front and a 180/55ZR17 on the rear. So let me know what you want to spend and I can look through our books and let you know.

-M-
Well a local sportbike rider told me that I can get a pretty decent rear tire for $175 from a local shop. That includes the labor to put it on. I don't want to spend more than $250 on the rear including the labor needed to put it on. Thanks for the replies so far
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-11-2005, 11:24 AM

It is your money. On my three sportbikes I am going to Bridgestone BT-014 on the rear & BT-012 on the front. They are not super duper in cost line but good enough for this chap that rides these Mtn roads hard.

I feel the front has a bit more tracion & rear a bit less. That is the way I like my tyres. So far I am right over to the point of no return on two of the bike & just about to put same tyres on my Honda 954 that has been wearing stock rubber being Michlin that are a bit more costly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode