extremly noobie questions - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

extremly noobie questions

I have never riden a bike before, but I really want one. I have been researching them for a while now but i still have some extremly basic questions.

Like how to actually do the accelerating/shifting thing. Like in a car it is, press gas and let out clucth(left foot) until it grabs, then accelerate, let off gas, press clutch, shit to next gear(right hand), let clutch out......is is basically the same or completly different?

Is the front brake the left or right hand?

That sort of thing. Would all of this be covered in an MSF course?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 11:11 AM

Brake is on the right. Your right side of your body handles accelerating/braking, while the left handles the tranny.
Accelerating a bike is much the same as accelerating a car, with a few major differences.
1. You will most likely want to drop a gear or two, or even 3 before you ever start. Since the engine flywheel weighs next to nothing, you really have to keep your rpm up, which means feathering the clutch.
2. Give a car too much power, and the tires spin. Give a bike too much power and it flips over. So its important to put as much weight on the front, and be really smooth with everything. Chances are you wont spin your rear tire. Dont worry, you will still shoot forward like a hyperpowered missile.

All of this, and more will be covered in MSF.

post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 11:36 AM

one of the important lessons they didnt cover in my MSF course though....

car VS bike... a car can be corrected mid-corner much easier than a bike. You do not have time to fully straighten a bike mid-corner, so the most you can do is change your lean angle. Because of this... corner entry and lane position become far more important than they are in a car.

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-10-2005, 07:48 PM

Also if you are driving a car & have a small fender-bender then it is who was in the wrong & who's insurance is going to cover the few scratches. Now a m/c with a fender-bender with a car will mean the bike down & damaged & even with good protective riding gear the rider has been injured to the worst of being hauled off to emergency ward.

Little things like that pop up when one is riding a m/c so it is a bit of a feat to stay up & alive. You really have to have full 100% concentration on the traffic, road, traction & all.

Last edited by Smitty; 11-10-2005 at 07:51 PM.
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-12-2005, 10:40 AM

Send a message via AIM to Chris Sedition Send a message via Yahoo to Chris Sedition
best advice i can give new riders:

1. get, buy, steal, or somehow read The Complete Idiots Guide to Motorcycles, 3rd edition (http://tinyurl.com/8qlmc). It is a *great* intro covering everything from different kind of bikes, bike controls, turning, buying a used bike, basic mechanics, and a guide to good new and used bikes. If you dont wanna buy it, just got to local Barnes and Nobel and just hang out for a few hours and read it untill they kick you out.

2. After you have read that book, cover to cover, a few times, take the MSF course. MSF course assumes *no* prior knowledge of motorcycles. Reading the Complete Idtios book before the MSF course will greatly enrich your learning experience in the MSF course. it will also give you a huge advantage on the written part of the MSF exam at end of the class.

do both of these, and your gonna have a great kick-off to a long passionate love affair with bikes

-chris sedition

LISTEN TO SLAYER
AIM: chR1s sedition
Yahoo: CSedition

2003 R1 (black / red / hell-fire)

"All black, no bling"
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-12-2005, 01:57 PM

long passionate expensive love affair with bikes
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-12-2005, 02:05 PM

Send a message via AIM to Chris Sedition Send a message via Yahoo to Chris Sedition
Quote:
Originally posted by Unas_the_Slayer
long passionate expensive love affair with bikes
oh yeah, the "E" word. I didn't want to scare him off that quick

long time no talk....how is life in Unas-Land these days?

LISTEN TO SLAYER
AIM: chR1s sedition
Yahoo: CSedition

2003 R1 (black / red / hell-fire)

"All black, no bling"
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-13-2005, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Alright, I will read the book for sure. The MSF was already on my to do list. Now convincing my parents is the main problem.
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 12:51 PM

Just to clear something up that vash might have overlooked. The clutch is a lever controlled by your hand, not your foot. While the clutch is pulled in by your left hand, you shift the gears up or down with your foot. Its like a car in the you get neutral and 1-5 or 1-6 speeds, but the shifter mechanism clicks up or down (depending on if you are shifting up or down) once per gear, then returns to a stationary position. So you can't tell what gear you are in unless you count them up from neutral.

Last edited by slick1537; 11-14-2005 at 12:54 PM.
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 08:40 PM

when taking the MSF, you'll probably be on something like a honda 125...which of course is MUCH different then something like an R6.

Get as much time on lower level bikes as possible until you feel completely comfortable. Then once you are completely comfortable, take it REALLY easy on a bigger bike to get used to it.

...the big problem that I see happen to my friends is that they take a MSF course and then buy a 600cc sportbike and dump it and hurt themselves.

In fact, one of my friends did this yesturday after purchasing an 04 cbr600 a week ago. Got too confident with his limited riding ability and dropped it @ 50mph. He's ok though (full gear).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode