Windblasts - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-04-2005, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Windblasts

Today, I experienced lot of windblasts on the freeway, I was riding against the wind at 80-100 mph. And it was pretty scary, because the wind was pushing me back, off the bike. It was like riding the bike for the first time, I found myself using death grips just to hang on. The entire time... I had to adjust between grabbing it like a sponge or baseball bat. I had to tuck down, but wasn't great, it felt the tank was too high under me belly to get a tuck in position. Or may be the clip-ons were too high to stabalize the bike. What scared me was the wind was pushing the bike back and forth, it was pushing me, and the steering was moving right and left, had difficulty keeping a steady line. Especially at night around large vehicles. It seemed that it was a lot easier to go 70 through a 180-deg decreasing corner than going straight on the freeway at that speed.

So how do you guys cope with it, especially at 130+ mph? Any ideas what I could do, may be get some aftermarket clip-ons to lower the bars? That would reduce the comfort around town though.

Thanks.

Stock clip-ons (the F4 also has a weird sloping bulge on top of the tank, unlike the gixxers):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bike06.jpg (60.1 KB, 174 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-04-2005, 09:41 PM

Send a message via AIM to 97yzfinwyo Send a message via Yahoo to 97yzfinwyo
wyoming

come out to wyoming and you can practice riding in the wind just about everyday here. it takes some getting used to. especially on the hiways are they are posted 75mph. and theres more trucks then cars here. if your not riding into the wind you can get some severe cross winds that will blow you across the lane. we have semis blow over out here. some times it feels like you got to lean the bike like 45deg. to compensate then all of a sudden your passing a semi or wind gets cut off from a pass and you got to correct real quick then you get back b y these things and wham your correcting for the wind again. sometimes when the wind is bad and your behind another vehicle damn near fells like your bars are going into a tank slapper!!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-04-2005, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

yeah, here too, the section of the freeway I'm referring to is 70 mph limit, so just about every semi is at that speed or above.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-05-2005, 06:56 AM

Try adjusting your body position buy sticking out a knee, twisting your shoulders, and tucking your arms in.

A few ccs short of a full litre.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-05-2005, 09:08 AM

Re: Windblasts

Quote:
Originally posted by Z_Fanatic
T...I found myself using death grips just to hang on...
I remember getting really scared the first few times the wind blasted me around on the interstate. I figured, however, that if I'm going to ride in Kansas, I better get used to it. My best approach so far has been to stay relaxed when the blast hits, and it is almost like Aikido-style approach, go with the flow. I don't calculate the amount of lean required to compensate, but do it intuitively, which is much easier when relaxed.

The biggest thing now that is hard to deal with is when there is a constant wind from 30 degrees of direction I'm heading, which requires me to strain my neck at a weird angle. 30 minutes of that gives a good kink in the neck for the rest of the day.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-05-2005, 06:28 PM

I've been finding some nice wind blasts lately too. Any time I pass a field I get a nice gust from the side. I've been having to dump atleast 20* in an instance to counter it. I havn't done much with headwind yet (I haven't hit the freeways) But like someone else said just keep relaxed and let your body do what feels natural. Just like going into a turn, after youve been riding for a bit it becomes second nature. Head wind, the only thing I can think of it your body is acting like a sail and just grabbing the wind pullin you back (Im sure thats the same conclusino youve come to) My best suggetion (might not be to comfortable but without different clip ons might be your best bet) wear a wind breaker and pull your stomach down to the tank but dont comform to it just angle down so your head is just at the wind screen hight and make sure your sholders are above the height of your clip ons this should prevent your body from catching the wind and it will keep your weight above your handle bars so you can still control the bike just not quite as well as usual.

Good luck,
Sepias

Last edited by SepiasSoul; 11-05-2005 at 06:31 PM.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-05-2005, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

I've been riding about a year, and riding into the wind wasn't a concern. What got me the other day was a change in weather may be. It was a little nerve wrecking because the wind was literally pushing me into the semi/car. I was keeping it relaxed, and not get jittery at all. But I also kept two fingers on the brake, which made the throttle control a little more tedious. Plus whenever smaller cars see a lone biker, they have this tendency to compete at all costs. And at that speed, if bunch of cars brake in front of me, things could get hairy, not to mention I gotta worry about tail gaters. On top of that, I saw things fly in front of me... at night time . It was high speed congestion basically.

Anyway, I found better form of tucking down, I can hear the wind buffet above the helmet without ripping my neck too much. Since my arms were tucked in so that the elbows were rubbing on the knees and belly on the tank. I think this is the race form. But because of the clip-ons height, my arms were actually below the clip-ons, and that strains the throttle hand.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-06-2005, 10:39 AM

Sounds like that was a ride from hell. I hope your new position works.

Good luck,
Sepias
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-06-2005, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, I'm actually situated in Port St. Lucie, little far below Plant City.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 10:30 AM

If you ever find your way north let me know and we can go riding. Ill do the same if I head south.

Sepias
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode