NEED HELP!!! i hate being short - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

NEED HELP!!! i hate being short

Ok so i have been obsessed with sport bikes since i was little and i have decided its finaly time to sell my truck and get a bike. i would really like a cbr-600rr or gsxr-600 but i dont think i am tall enough to ride one i am 5'5 with about a 27-28inch inseem and i weigh 145lbs. i went to a dealer today and sat on a cbr my feet touch the ground but i'm not flat footed i dont know if that is a problem or not. is a sportbike out of the question for me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 09:43 PM

Re: NEED HELP!!! i hate being short

Quote:
Originally posted by kevin_webb
Ok so i have been obsessed with sport bikes since i was little and i have decided its finaly time to sell my truck and get a bike. i would really like a cbr-600rr or gsxr-600 but i dont think i am tall enough to ride one i am 5'5 with about a 27-28inch inseem and i weigh 145lbs. i went to a dealer today and sat on a cbr my feet touch the ground but i'm not flat footed i dont know if that is a problem or not. is a sportbike out of the question for me?
IMHO..a sportbike IS out of the question IF, you never rode before, or taken the MSF course...there are better bikes to learn on.....

Need more info..re: your riding experience..

As for being 5'5"..you have options..you can shave the seat, and or lower the bike, If I were you, I'd opt for shaving the seat, as lowering a bike affects the handleing alot.

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

my riding experience is zero i am gonna take the msf course and i will probably get a more suitable bike to start on but in the future once i have more experience like a 5 years down the road can someone my size ride a sportbike

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 11:02 PM

Quote:
my riding experience is zero i am gonna take the msf course and i will probably get a more suitable bike to start on but in the future once i have more experience like a 5 years down the road can someone my size ride a sportbike

You might wanna look at the Kaw ex 250 ninja, or 500...also the Suzuki GS500 would be a great bike too..and if you have problems with "gettin flat footed" alhough there are riders tha don't get fla footed..you can always shave the seat, or have an uplosutery shop do it for ya..

As for waiting 5 years..you may not have to wait that long..dependin on how well you learn.. and yes, you could ride a sportbike, may take some gettin use to, cuzz of the weight..

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 11:11 PM

Quote:
5 years down the road can someone my size ride a sportbike
Sports bikes are getting so small now you probably be to big for one in 5 years.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 11:59 PM

not all, '06 R6 just went up in seating height.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 12:56 AM Thread Starter

thx for all the replies i was gonna be pretty deppressed if i couln't ever ride a sportbike lol
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 04:17 AM

I am short too, and have my Busa set up for my short arms and legs:

2001 Hayabusa
Lowered front and back 1.5 in and 1 in.
Custom Tobin seat lowers the seat 1 in.

Heli bars. Move the bars back and up about 1.5 inches.

The Hayabusa is already lower than some sportbikes, so it was a good starting point for me. You don't even want to THINK about riding this bike without at least 2 years or more or riding experience on a less powerful bike. It can get away from an inexperienced rider, way too fast.

If you need riding experience, start with a small v-twin. They are low to the ground and forgiving. You don't want to wreck while you are learning. You could also get a Ninja 500 or smaller. If you have exceptionally good hand/eye coordination and fast reflexes and great balance--you might try a lowered 600 cc bike. Buy a used one because you are probably going to drop it.

Here is a pic of my bike. By the time you learn how to ride, I will be ready for a new bike and will sell it to you -- already set up. It has 166 rwhp / 105 ft lbs torque and is capable of doing the quarter in the low 9's if you are a good rider.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg waynes bike.jpg (407.0 KB, 130 views)
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 05:29 PM

That pic reminds me of that video where all the Busa's and that zx-12r race that black viper. That's a sick video.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 07:53 AM

My friend is 5.5 with 27" inseme as well. He started on a Ninja 250, and 2 years later he got a Honda VFR (it is a big bike). He didn't not shave the seat nor lower the bike. He touches the ground with the tip of his feet, and he is doing fine. at a stop light, he lean the bike a little to the left side, and rest it on the left foot. and he rests the right foot on the foot pig.
He has more troubles finding riding pants that fit him that riding a bike..!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode