1997 Yzf 750 R - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

1997 Yzf 750 R Please look

I just purchased a 1997 YZF 750 R. Its in great condition but it has a few miles on it. If anyone has any experiance/input on it please let me know. It has a racing clutch put on it so it doesn't jump in first which is a good thing since Im moving up from dirt bikes and such to this. Any suggestions on it please let me know. I am planning on taking it VERY SLOW since Im learning to ride. Let me know on your opinions. (I was also told its a rare bike since it was only made between 97-98 is this true? I've only seen two personally) I got it for $3k which seems like a good deal compared to what others are selling for online. Let me know.

Thanks,
Sepias

Last edited by SepiasSoul; 10-28-2005 at 08:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 09:55 PM

YZF 750

Your model of the YZF 750 was actually introduced in the 1994 model year. It actually is fairly rare and is a really good bike. Especially well known for it's top-shelf suspension and excellent handling. It won Sport Rider magazine's Bike of the Year award in 1995. This bike is featured in the 8/1995 and 12/1995 issues of Sport Rider magazine and the 11/1993 issue of Motorcyclist.

Quick facts:

11.02 second quarter mile @ 126.3 mph
156 mph top speed
101.4 rear wheel horsepower at 12,000rpm
54.1 rear wheel ft/lbs of torque at 12,000rpm

If you like, I can fax you copies of the test articles.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

ZX Thanks so much for the reply, I was beggining to wonder if anyone ever even heard of it. I pulled up specs on the 97 online and it read 125 HP at 12000 RPM but the guy i bought it from said he was gettin about 112 HP at around 12000. Dunno if thats due to the Vance and Hynes pipes he put on it as well as the racing clutch. He also said he had it up over 150 several times (might just have been talk, I dunno). I'm glad to hear someone other than him saying its a rare bike. Makes me glad I jumped on it even though its a little more CC than I was lookin for. Im a new rider and Ive got about an hour or two on this bike so far. I haven't gotten over 25MPH on it yet or outta second gear. I rolled on the throttle a little to much in second and I could feel the bike wanting to climb... Scared the shit outta me. I would love for you to fax those specs to me... I gotta figure out the fax number at work. I appreciate all the work you musta done to get those specs for me. Also do you think it would be worth me getting the few problem spots on the ferrings fixed? It got dropped at 6 MPH taking a corner at a stop sign. The last owner cut into it to much and gave to much throttle. The decals are messed up and the paint is missing from were it bit into the pavement. I was thinking of stripippng that ferring and repainting it stock and getting new decals. (after i get use to it.... I know ill problem end up leaveing a few marks as well.)

Thanks again,
Sepais

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 11:40 PM

Where exactly is plant city in FL? Welcome and make sure you sign up for MSF. You don't want to make too many mistakes on a bike like that.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-29-2005, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

Already signed up and took the class. Thats were I got my class E lisense from. Im planning on going back mid december to take there advanced rider course (advanced as in advanced begginers). Plant city is about 20 miles outta Tampa florida. If you eat straberries... we grew em.

Thanks,
Sepias

Last edited by SepiasSoul; 10-29-2005 at 08:29 AM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-29-2005, 09:35 AM

Send a message via AIM to 97yzfinwyo Send a message via Yahoo to 97yzfinwyo
festival

ah forgot about the old strawberry festivals there!! oringinally from Bradenton been up there a few times. when your ready to do some real riding head out WEST!!!!!!!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-29-2005, 11:55 AM

Never saw the YZF750 or 1000, but did purchase the first YZF600r & from a write-up on the 600 & 1000 all raved about the stopping power of the 600 and the 1000 which I feel are just as good as brakes on most bikes in the '00 to '02 bikes.

In a Cdn m/c mag the chap testing the 600 came in near the end to repot the suspension was a bit weak though he was showen the times on the 1000 of that same day showing he was lapping the 600 just as fast. So he realized he was obviously pushing the 600 to its maxium.

Have a hunch Cdn did not import the 750 but some 1000s & a few more 600s.

Last edited by Smitty; 10-29-2005 at 11:58 AM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-29-2005, 02:23 PM

YZF Specs

No problem, glad I could help.

I would fix the fairing imperfections, but if I were you, I'd do it next season, after you've put some of your own miles on it. As you implied, you might just add some of your own "personality" to that bike during the learning curve. It would suck to go to the expense/time of fixing it up, just to have your own little spill soon afterwards.

The specs you pulled up online quoted the engine horsepower, measured at the crank. 125 would sound about right. It would be beleivable to have a well tuned, piped YZF 750 putting 112 hp down to the rear wheel. That is a pretty good amount of power, especially where you are at sea level. Be careful! Looks like you have the right riding gear and have a good head on your shoulders.

I'll take the magazines to work with me on Monday. E-mail me at: [email protected] with your fax number and I'll get it out to you next week.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-29-2005, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the input all. When I'm ready to do real riding I just might head out west YZF... Right now Im happy cruizin the back roads of my subdivision I was compounding some scratches out on my tank and found a couple of spots on the lower edge with some rust.(below the actual tank, on the lip underneath it) Any ideas on what to do? none of them are bad just I dont want em to get worse. I was plannin on sanding it clean with a high grit paper and ordering touch up paint from Yamaha. This sound about right?

Thanks again,
Sepias
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode