Gs500f - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 12:46 AM Thread Starter

Gs500f

Hey guys whats up. I have been lurking around here for a while and haven't heard to much about GS500s. I'm in the market for my first bike and it seems like the perfect option for me. I have experience in the dirt as well. I'm also looking at SV650s. I'm 15 and will be getting my motorcycle license as soon as I finish my behind the wheel driving lessons (necessary to get an mc permit in CA). Funny thing is that my dad actually wants me to get a bike at this age just so I can drive myself around a few months before I would have my drivers license (im not arguing ). I dont want to be another damn statistic and will be sure to take it easy for a while until I really get a feel for riding on the street regardless of what bike I get. Was also looking at the ninja 500 but would rather go the suzki route. Is the ninja a good bike as far as reliability and such goes? Thanks in advance for any responses.

EDIT: Do you have to have your mc permit to take an MSF course? I definately plan on taking one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 12:19 PM

Both the Kwacker & Suzy 500cc vertical twins are with what many call a "bullet proof" power-plant.

Both bikes are within a few dollars of each other for a given reason of competition & so many realize these are ideal first time riders bikes or in some cases the next step up from a 250cc.

You will find all four big four makers in jpn will not produce lemons when it comes to m/cs & the two above bikes have been around for some yrs with no dramatic changes other then the plastic panels on the one.

Last edited by Smitty; 10-25-2005 at 10:43 AM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 12:36 PM

I think you do need a permit to take the course...doesn't take much time to go to the registry and get a permit anyway.

And yea, both bikes are excellent choices and are reliable.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Is the Ninja 650 comparable to the sv650? Thanks for the onses so far guys. What is the power like on a 500? what about on the 650s?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 07:59 AM

Yes, the new Ninja 650 is the new competition to the SV650.

The SV has a little more power, I think 68 vs. the Ninja's 54. Both quick enough. If it's your first bike you're probably better off buying a used bike....you won't care so much if you drop it.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by slaps76
Yes, the new Ninja 650 is the new competition to the SV650.

The SV has a little more power, I think 68 vs. the Ninja's 54. Both quick enough. If it's your first bike you're probably better off buying a used bike....you won't care so much if you drop it.
Is the ninja 650 new for 06?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 05:10 PM

Would the Ninja 650/SV650 be good starter bikes for someone with no riding experience whatsoever?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Im considering the Sv or ninja 650 now really just because I have riding experience and dont want to get bored of the 500 and then have to sell it and buy a bigger bike. Not sure though definately going to research something to death before I buy anything.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 09:33 PM

WTF lol you're from GPN lol. You have the golf cart drifting avatar.

I'm scooter1234 with the burning dude avatar. Crazy stuff.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex Steadman
WTF lol you're from GPN lol. You have the golf cart drifting avatar.

I'm scooter1234 with the burning dude avatar. Crazy stuff.
whats up bro?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode