License? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-23-2005, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

License?

Do you have to have your car license to get your motorcycle permit or license? I was driving my car the quarter mile to my friends house, i live out in the middle of no where, its all country roads and hillbillys and Ive seen kids younger than me driving. I only have my learners permit, and I passed a cop that knew me (small town, everyone knows everyone) and the asshole gave me a citation and now I have to go to court and I might not be able to get my license until Im 18. But I was planning on getting a bike in the spring. I know here you can be 15 and take the MSF course and get your permit...but what about your license?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 08:42 PM
jrm

I am going to guess that the answer is "Yes, you need a DRIVER"S license to have a motorcycle endorsement", although you may not have to pass the AUTO driver's test, just the MOTO license test.

Typically, most of our moto licenses are simply an add-on endorsement to our auto drivers license. Usually, that is the route most people take. Car first, then moto. Your case could be different, in that I'm not sure they could REQUIRE you to have an automobile if you only wanted a MOTO license.

State governments are not known for their flexibility and customer service, however, so you'd probably better plan on having to have both OR have auto license to get the moto.

Getting busted for driving w/o license by someone who "knows" you at 15 doesn't sound like the smooth route to licensedom either. If getting that moto endorsement is important to you, I'd suck it up and kiss the judge's ass, your parents' asses and anyone who has the power to keep you OFF bikes for the next few years.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 09:30 PM

Re: License?

Quote:
Originally posted by CRF_173
...I only have my learners permit, and I passed a cop that knew me (small town, everyone knows everyone) and the asshole gave me a citation...
You broke the law, but the cop's an a**ehole for citing you??

With that attitude, and the fact that you're driving illegally at only 15, I don't think you'll live too long on a m/c.

Best you stick to your BMX.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

Re: Re: License?

Quote:
Originally posted by cookeetree
You broke the law, but the cop's an a**ehole for citing you??

With that attitude, and the fact that you're driving illegally at only 15, I don't think you'll live too long on a m/c.

Best you stick to your BMX.

OK no maybe I didnt make myself clear enough, I live in a VERY small town, Theres farm kids out here that are ten years old that drive there parents trucks up and down the roads all the time. And the reason the cop is an asshole is because he isnt just some cop, but I grew up going to this guys house on christmas and stuff, hes a family friend. Thats just what had me irritated. He knows that I drive to my friends house down the road, he always lets it go, Ive gone by him before and hes waved at me. I wasnt speeding or driving wrecklessly, and then to top it all of he comes up to the window and says license and registration, acting like he doesnt know me when he knows perfectly well I dont have a license. I know it sounds like a dumb thing to do, driving illegally, but I was in my truck driving to my friends house with my motocross bike in the back of my truck, so we could go out and ride for the day. Which we ride on his track every day we can. Riding motocross is a little bit better than doing drugs or drinking which we have never done, and theres plenty of opportunity to drink in my hillbilly town.

Oh and I dont ride bicycles, its MX, the B in BMX stands for bicycle.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 10:25 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Fatman
Re: License?

Quote:
Do you have to have your car license to get your motorcycle permit or license? I was driving my car the quarter mile to my friends house, i live out in the middle of no where, its all country roads and hillbillys and Ive seen kids younger than me driving. I only have my learners permit, and I passed a cop that knew me (small town, everyone knows everyone) and the asshole gave me a citation and now I have to go to court and I might not be able to get my license until Im 18. But I was planning on getting a bike in the spring. I know here you can be 15 and take the MSF course and get your permit...but what about your license?
in California you can get a learners permit for a MC all you need to do is take the additional writen test (i think it was maybe 20 extra questions in 1982 when i got mine) you can do just the motorcycle or car and motorcycle at the same time.

Build a man a fire, and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Everything I know I learned from killing smart people and eating their brains.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 10:31 PM

Damn that sucks dude? What did you do to piss him off? Sleep with his daughter? That'll do it for me. Hell, I'd impound the damn car
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 04:14 AM

You might find the traffic court to be very forgiving the first time around... Especially if you call the judge before your court date. Explain the situation (Less the asshole part, judges dont like that) Accept responcibility, and say you're very sorry. Works everytime

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 05:40 AM

You don't need your car license to get your motorcycle license. If you do have it, you just get an M endorsement.. but it is possible to get it separately. BUT, if your car license is "suspended" (so that you can't get it until you're 18)I don't think they will allow you to get your bike license.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 05:50 AM

Re: Re: Re: License?

Quote:
OK no maybe I didnt make myself clear enough, I live in a VERY small town, Theres farm kids out here that are ten years old that drive there parents trucks up and down the roads all the time. And the reason the cop is an asshole is because he isnt just some cop, but I grew up going to this guys house on christmas and stuff, hes a family friend. Thats just what had me irritated. He knows that I drive to my friends house down the road, he always lets it go, Ive gone by him before and hes waved at me. I wasnt speeding or driving wrecklessly, and then to top it all of he comes up to the window and says license and registration, acting like he doesnt know me when he knows perfectly well I dont have a license. I know it sounds like a dumb thing to do, driving illegally, but I was in my truck driving to my friends house with my motocross bike in the back of my truck, so we could go out and ride for the day. Which we ride on his track every day we can. Riding motocross is a little bit better than doing drugs or drinking which we have never done, and theres plenty of opportunity to drink in my hillbilly town.

Oh and I dont ride bicycles, its MX, the B in BMX stands for bicycle.
Sorry to tell ya but im not that far north from ya and ur full of crap when it comes to that town... Stick to ur scooter..
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 06:19 AM

Lightbulb

Sorry Unas but that just didn't sound right to me sooo I went surfin'

Here's what I found:

Quote:
Important reminders about testing
You must provide Indiana Driver License
Must have a valid (Unexpired) Motorcyle Learner Permit that has been held for at least 30 days
Applicant must provide motorcycle
$5.00 Fee payable to instructor
I found it at:http://www.in.gov/bmv/driverlicense/...leSchedule.htm

Motoman74
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode