600rr - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

600rr

OK, I know everyone says not to start out on a new top of the line 600, but I think I might be a different case. I've raced motocross since I was 5. I'm 15 and Ill be 16 in February. I currently race 250B on a CRF450. I want to get an 06 CBR600RR next spring when I can get my motorcycle license, I've ben saving my money for a while and have enough for about half of it, and Ill just make payments on the rest. Now I know this is where you say, motocross is different from street riding. BUT, early spring this year I converted my CRF250 into a supermoto bike and have been riding it around on the streets and have had a few scares on it, but I think I handled it well, no wrecks or anything. So I have some street experience, and I'll definately be taking the MSF course and I wont be doin stupid shit like wheelies and stunting and stuff. So should I still start off on a smaller bike? I'm thinking SV650S, but I hate the look of it without lower fairings. Any opinions would be appreciated and taken into consideration. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 10:12 AM

I was the same way. I rode and raced dirt since I was 8. I jumped right on a R6, and have not had any problems with it. Granted it is a 2000, but it is still fast. I am already wanting to upgrade. I think racing dirt gives you quite a bit of experience that people take for granted. You get use to spinning the tire around corners and you get a good feel for the bike wanting to jump on one wheel. Do keep in mind that they are different though. Street hurts a lot more than dirt. The main thing for you, I feel, is that you are going to be 16. If I had my bike at 16, I would be dead. If you do get it, take the MSC, and get really good gear. Don't let your friends highschool you into anything either. You should pull some good tail with that bike in highschool too.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I know Im going to be really careful on it for a while, and Ive noticed a lot of street guys think motocrossers wont have any experience at all. People act like Im just some kid whos never ridden a motorcycle in his life and they say to start off on a ninja 250, my 450 would easliy beat one and I dunno about my 250, its pretty modified. But I also know that a street bike handles a lot differently than a motocross bike, I've ridden a sportster 1200 and a old FZR750, and it was a lot different, but nothing hard. And yes, the high school tail will be a HUGE plus to having a 600rr....but not the only reason. And seeing as how Ill be the only kid in my school with one, out of 2000 kids, I cant wait. Oh and another thing, is it a lot harder to carry a person on the back? Ive carried my dad down to the line on the back of CRFs before and its really weird and hard to balance, is a street bike the same way?

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 02:20 PM

Yes. Double the weight. longer stops etc. Make sure you gain a lOT of experience before you put someone on the back. I still get nervous with my wife on mine.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 02:30 AM

I wouldn't be too worried about whether or not you can handle getting a brand new 600rr, the part I would be worried about is the cost of fixing it when you drop it. I would give 5 to 1 odds your bike is gonna see the ground in a year

I don't know about you but when I was sixteen it would be hard to replace a brand new bike. But then again insurance replace mine

Get what makes you happy, but just think about what'll happen when it goes down. BTW, you have very cool parents if they are letting you get a bike at the age of 16, and I second the girls part, having a bike at 16 is going to seriously help your game
just watch out for angry parents of those girls you give rides too.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 04:49 AM Thread Starter

Yeah the replacing it when I drop it is what I've been wondering about too. But it'd be easier for me to make payments on a new bike, then try and save up money for a used bike. And I'm also sponsored by a local shop because I race, and they can get me a discount on a bike, and everything I need for it. How much would frame slider help in case of a tip over? Because thats the first thing I want to buy for my bike, Im not gonna be cocky and say Ill never wreck or tip it over, I know I will. If you say youll never wreck thats the first thing that'll happen. I know from experience, I got cocky and the next day, coma. Oh and does anyone know where you can get lower fairings for a SV650S? Those would look a lot better with one.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 07:45 AM

The thing I see a problem with, is not so much the bike, but the fact you'll be learning to navigate out on public roads in traffic while on a motorcycle.

You obviously don't have a car yet, right? Riding a bike on the track then the street are completely different. Now you're dealing with ignorant drivers who cut you off, tailgate, plus you have to get used to many different situations on the street.

Looking back, learning how to drive in public on a bike probably wouldn't have been a good thing. Like all new drivers, I made a lot of stupid mistakes, which would have led to different outcomes if I were on two wheels instead of four.

I think you're better off getting some experience in a car first...not that it helps you ride a streetbike, but the experience will make you a smarter rider.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by slaps76
The thing I see a problem with, is not so much the bike, but the fact you'll be learning to navigate out on public roads in traffic while on a motorcycle.

You obviously don't have a car yet, right? Riding a bike on the track then the street are completely different. Now you're dealing with ignorant drivers who cut you off, tailgate, plus you have to get used to many different situations on the street.

Looking back, learning how to drive in public on a bike probably wouldn't have been a good thing. Like all new drivers, I made a lot of stupid mistakes, which would have led to different outcomes if I were on two wheels instead of four.

I think you're better off getting some experience in a car first...not that it helps you ride a streetbike, but the experience will make you a smarter rider.
Amen to that brother. A 600rr is ok to start on if your are familiar with bikes and can respect the power. Any motorcycle is the wrong motorcycle for starting to drive on the road. Definately get a cage, learn how stupid every one drives, and while you are doing that remember that all cages hate bikes and want to eat them.

Also, ebay has some fairings some times, shark skinz makes a really cool set. You may want to stay away from the sv though. I think with your history the sv would bore you after a few thousand miles, unless you want to take it to the track. That thing is a blast to flick around.

Last edited by 1percenter; 10-19-2005 at 09:27 AM.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by CRF_173
Oh and does anyone know where you can get lower fairings for a SV650S? Those would look a lot better with one.
Check out ronayers.com I believe they are less than $400 painted

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 11:06 AM

Drive until you're 20 or so and THEN think about getting a bike for the street. You don't know how to really ride on the street. Learning a bike and learning to ride at the same time is a very bad idea.

You're 16 - you'll kill yourself. Get some experience first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode