Need some input from experience! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-15-2005, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Need some input from experience!

Hey folks! First time posting so I'll give some background info since you can expect to see me around from now on. Been reading the forums awhile and I'm now posting.

My name is Dewayne and I live in FL. Finishing up the MSF course tomorrow(already passed the written with a 100% and I'm having no probs with the riding). Anywho, I'm looking into my first bike now and I'm feeling very confident in my abilities as of now. Not too confident as to do something stupid though.

Anywho, I'm looking into either a CBR or Ninja as my first bike. Most CBRs and Ninjas I've seen are brand new though. Then I ran across this, a 2000 CBR600F4 with 7k miles and the guy is asking 4200 OBO. I haven't checked the condition yet and I'm kinda ehh about buying a used bike but after reading so much, I hear it's best in case I down it, etc.

What do you folks think? Good deal or no?

EDIT Sorry about the double post. My browser wouldn't load.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-15-2005, 04:55 PM

You can delete your post/thread

A few ccs short of a full litre.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-15-2005, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Deleted it. Didn't even notice the delete option on reply. heh Thx

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-15-2005, 05:10 PM

Do a search on starter bikes. You'll find lotsa info about the subject.

A few ccs short of a full litre.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-15-2005, 06:47 PM

Your question re: a good starter bike is kinda general...I mean, we have no info. as to your experience, age...ect.

As a rule, I don't recomend 600 cc sporbikes to new riders, for simple fact that a 250, or 500cc bike ..like he GS500, or he 250, or 500 EX (Ninja) will allow you to learn how to ride much faster, and being that those bikes are more user friendly...you are less likely to be in the "Suvival Mode" for very long, as compared to a 600 sportbike...I know, they look cool...well so does a Lamborgini, but we all know that new Drivers don't just jump in one to learn how to drive...

Just my 3 cents..

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-15-2005, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

No offense, but I'm guessing neither of you actually read my post fully. I already mentioned what 2 bikes I was looking into because I already read countless posts on bikes for new riders. I also said I had been reading these forums awhile now as well. And from what I've read, Ninjas, the SV650S, older 250s, and even the older CBRs are bikes a person could learn on.

"Anywho, I'm looking into either a CBR or Ninja as my first bike."
-Myself

I'm not asking what bike I should get as a first bike.

My question was more of is a 2000 CBR600F4 with 7k miles worth about 4200 on average and would I be getting a good deal with it.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-15-2005, 08:27 PM

Check out nadaguide.com and kbb.com for blue book value.

These guys are just advicing from years of experience, don't take it lightly. They know much more on this subject than apparently you think you do. I have a F4 as one of my rides, and it's not to be taken lightly. Unless you wanna pussyfoot around town at 2K rpm like many, then it defeats the purpose of having a sportbike, and this bike will stall below 4k rpm. There's much more to this sport than it seems, and there are far better bikes for beginners to have with more usable power, and they'll certainly handle better below triple digits speed than F4.

Then again, like me, you're in Florida, so there's no real skills involved riding a fast bike on long, boring, and endless straights full of outrageous cage drivers. Nowhere in FL, not even Northern side or Panhandle has some of the sickest curves like these guys are used to riding.

Don't care to convince you otherwise, but my point is... you missed the point when you claimed you read all those topics regarding beginner bikes. Passing MSF doesn't guarantee you know how to ride or are a safe rider.

Last edited by Z_Fanatic; 10-15-2005 at 08:31 PM.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-15-2005, 09:27 PM

CBR

"Z-Fanatic's" post is right on the money. But it seems that he, (and every other well-meaning, experienced rider here) is giving you more information than you care to listen to.

That being said, $4200 seems like a good price for a 2000 CBR 600. Assuming that it is in good condition and has been properly maintained. Knock yourself out.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 03:33 AM Thread Starter

Look, the last thing I wanna do is get into some kinda flame fest on my first post but I will leave it at this...

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the input, as well as the input I get from people I know here who ride. My girlfriend especially. But, the bottom line is I know myself better than you folks do.

In either case, the F4 was just a bike I'm looking into. I still might end up getting that '05 Ninja I was looking at as well or the SV650S in a nearby city. I still have too many things to look into before I go buy a bike.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 10:20 AM

Well put words being "--I know myself better than you folks do.--" AND you know what you want so why come on here to riders with some to a lot of experience & ask them to pick out the bike for you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode