upgrading from a 250 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

upgrading from a 250

well ive been riding for 3 months on my 250 and im interested in buying a bigger bike when ive driven for a year and well im just after your preferences guys on which bike would be worth looking into

2005 Z750 Kawasaki

Suzuki SV650

Suzuki GS500

S40
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 10:24 PM

Which bike to upgrade to

My own preference would be 1 to 4 in the same exact order you listed them.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 10:28 PM

Re: upgrading from a 250

Quote:
Originally posted by ExplodingCommod
well ive been riding for 3 months on my 250 and im interested in buying a bigger bike when ive driven for a year and well im just after your preferences guys on which bike would be worth looking into

2005 Z750 Kawasaki

Suzuki SV650

Suzuki GS500

S40
After you've ridden for the year, you should be able to jump on the SV650 without a drama. Some people consider this to be a great first bike, but it'd be a good step-up from the 250.

You'll probably just be bored with the GS500. Don't know anything about the Z750 or S40.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice man the more information the better though , considering im still new to this. To be a little honest though i have a small fear of sport bikes lol *shrug* could keep me alive
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 11:22 AM

Fearing sportbikes is overrated (unless you're referring to literbikes), it really is the same concept, once you gain good experience on beginner bikes (250) and intermediate bikes (sv650), going into 600 should be no problem, same principle, just handles better at high speed and respect the top-end.

I've taken MSF where older students or guys interested in cruisers were raving about how sportbikes are coffin on wheels. If anything, being on sportbike might just save your life compared to a bike with 1 disc braking. Because on the road, cages don't care whether you're riding a cruiser or sportbike, you're vulnerable just the same.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 04:59 PM

If you like the Kawasaki Z750 take a look at the Yamaha FZ6. It does have an R6 motor but I'm not sure if it's tuned differently in this bike. I sat on one when I was looking for a motorcycle and it's very comfortable.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/pr...73/0/home.aspx

Decently priced, too.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 05:11 PM

The Suzy SV-650 for sure. Also it is really not a sportbike when compared to the hot trotting 600cc fours churned out by Honda, Yamaha, Suzy, & Kwacker.

This was a bike engineered to be a bike that would be fun to ride & not a sort of replica of a road racer.

The V-twin gives the bike nice torque at lower revs & throughout the the bike is not as fussy or non-forgiving as a 600cc sportbike.

Remember there is the SV-650 & the SV-650S. The SV-650 is with more of a regular riding position. Like the handlebars are one piece bolted on top of the fork yoke while the 650S is with clip-ons that will forced you to lean forward to reach them. Also the 650s has the footrests set a bit farther back & a bit higher up which is more in line with the learn forward riding position of a regular sportbike.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Kidane
If you like the Kawasaki Z750 take a look at the Yamaha FZ6. It does have an R6 motor but I'm not sure if it's tuned differently in this bike. I sat on one when I was looking for a motorcycle and it's very comfortable.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/pr...73/0/home.aspx

Decently priced, too.
My goodness i do like the looks of that. i wonder how much it is canadian
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Z_Fanatic
Fearing sportbikes is overrated (unless you're referring to literbikes), it really is the same concept, once you gain good experience on beginner bikes (250) and intermediate bikes (sv650), going into 600 should be no problem, same principle, just handles better at high speed and respect the top-end.

Not sure if 3 months is enough time to gain a good amount of experience...??? I think it's dependent on the rider...and even then, I'd still question whether or not they should step up at that point to a sportbike...

Re: fearing sportbikes.......you had to know I'd spout off bout this.. I gotta disagree..there's a huge difference riding a 250 compared to a 600 xyz sportbike. Basic's are about the same, but thats where it ends imho..

Most all the people I know that began on Ninja 250's, and rode them for a yr. or so...are now all very good riders, all have upgraded to larger sportbikes, and they do track days...and guess what..? they are amoung the fastest riders out there, and guess what else..?

They Seldom ...if ever crash.. cuzz they got that outta the way on their 250's....

Disclaimer.....this may not be true of every rider, but I'd guess the above fits about 98% of the riders out there..

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-05-2005, 08:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Hammer 4
Not sure if 3 months is enough time to gain a good amount of experience...??? I think it's dependent on the rider...and even then, I'd still question whether or not they should step up at that point to a sportbike...

Re: fearing sportbikes.......you had to know I'd spout off bout this.. I gotta disagree..there's a huge difference riding a 250 compared to a 600 xyz sportbike. Basic's are about the same, but thats where it ends imho..

Most all the people I know that began on Ninja 250's, and rode them for a yr. or so...are now all very good riders, all have upgraded to larger sportbikes, and they do track days...and guess what..? they are amoung the fastest riders out there, and guess what else..?

They Seldom ...if ever crash.. cuzz they got that outta the way on their 250's....

Disclaimer.....this may not be true of every rider, but I'd guess the above fits about 98% of the riders out there..
I dont plan to upgrade till my year is up though. I'm also riding rain or shine every day to gain enough experience possible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode