which bike? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-30-2005, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

which bike?

Sorry this is going to be a long post please help me out. About two years ago i had a 1998 yamaha yzf600. I Since them i have not had a sport bike. I am looking to buy an 05 bike and need some advice. First off I am 6'1" 190 lbs. I really cant afford to buy a liter bike or the insurance for it. I have thought about getting a gsxr750 but that may be a little out of my range as well. What i really want to know is how much faster the 05' 600's are compared to my old 98'? I have ridden bikes most of my life and i really felt the the 600 i had was both underpowered and physically too small for me. Which of the new 600's are physically the largest and would be most comfortable for me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-30-2005, 07:18 PM

Are you planning on drag racing..?

Hate to say it, but in the 05's..the Yam R6 looks to be the fastest..not counting the Kaw 636..

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-30-2005, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

i dont plan on drag racing. I mainly want to know which bike would be most comfortable for someone my size out of the 600's. And if the new ones are faster than say the 98' I previously owned.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-30-2005, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 02whitestang
i dont plan on drag racing. I mainly want to know which bike would be most comfortable for someone my size out of the 600's. And if the new ones are faster than say the 98' I previously owned.
The new bikes would definitely be faster than your old bike (more hp), especially with the introduction of fuel injection.

The only way to find out which one is most comfortable is to try them out as they all have different ergonomics.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-30-2005, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Sorry, I misunderstood your ?...

Best if you could at least sit on a bike your intesed in, I'm 6'2" and ride a 02 gixxer 600, but only on the track these days..I have owned a 97 gix 600, and a 99 gix 750...all of these bikes are comfy for me, that's not to say that you would like them..I think you might like the Kaw, Honda to be more comfy, only cuzz they don't make you stretch for the bars like the gixxers do, still take a friend, have him steady the bike so you can sit on it while it's upright...better yet if you can ride one.

And yup, for the most part, the newer generation sportbikes are faster than the bikes from the late 90's..i.e. my 02 would smoke my old 97...also, the newer bikes, i.e. 02 and newer generaly handle better to.

Hope this helps ya...

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-01-2005, 05:44 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the help. I definetlywont be able to do any test rides since the shops here dont allow them and all of my friends have cruisers, not sportbikes. I guess i just have to hope and pray i make the right choice the first time around. No just need to find some insurance that doest cost more than the actual bike costs. Thanks again.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-01-2005, 06:43 AM

ok, i have to say i just bought a kawasaki 636, i'm 6'-2" and about 265, when i sit on it its nice and comfy, not too much reach for the bars, and my legs don't feel scrunched up underneath me. the only other bike that i sat on that was bigger was the ZZR600 which is considered a touring bike, really comfy seat its like 6" thick so for a bigger guy i feel good on the 636, and i out weigh you! as for power, i'm not even close to finiding out what 125 hp in a 360lb bike feels like!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-01-2005, 01:22 PM

Quote:
thanks for the help. I definetlywont be able to do any test rides since the shops here dont allow them...
Like Hammer suggested, take a friend with you. Sit on the bike and have him hold it steady while you get into a proper riding position. That's the best you'll be able to do.

If the shops won't let you do that, tell them to get f*cked and take your money elsewhere...

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-01-2005, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

well thanks for all the help. Just got home with my new zx6. I love it. It is way faster than my 98' yzf600 was. I just finished taking off the bulky liscence plate holder. One question though. Are both headlights supposed to be on all the time? Only one of them comes on.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-01-2005, 03:59 PM

Quote:
...Are both headlights supposed to be on all the time? Only one of them comes on.
As I understand it, one is for low beam, two for high beam.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode