New guy here...way too small for a bike? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-30-2005, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

New guy here...way too small for a bike?

Hey everyone...

This is my first post with my first annoying noob question.

I have virtually no experience on bikes of any kind...I've rode a dirtbike for about an hour and am now addicted and really want a sport bike..I know I know..you have all heard that before..

I'm very responsible and have a healthy respect for the power and danger that is associated with sport bikes but feel that next year I will be ready to purchase one...depending on what kind of response I get here.

I plan to buy a CBR 600RR as my first bike..becasue there is no way for me to financially purchase a starter bike..but I plan on taking every safety course and just putt around for the whole summer before I really get out there and ride for real...

The main problem is that I am really small..I'm 5'8" and about 100 pounds soaking wet...so am I too small for a sport bike?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-30-2005, 01:26 PM

You can ussually sell a starter bike for what you bought it for. My old roommate picked up his starter for $1200, wrecked it, and sold it for $1400. So I really recommend going that route.

But in case you are wondering, no you are not too small for a bike. I've known a few riders at 5'2".

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-30-2005, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

But is there anything that I could use that would get me used to the feeling of a sportbike? I mean just because you can skateboard doesnt mean you can go out and surf the first day you try it...

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-30-2005, 01:48 PM

Sure. EX500, SV650, ZX650R, GS500, 599.

600F4i...

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-30-2005, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

Those all seem to be around the same power as the cbr 600...is there really much of a difference? Is a starter bike just so you can lay it down and not really worry about losing a bunch of money? Sorry, but I really am a total noob
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-30-2005, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by five5six
Those all seem to be around the same power as the cbr 600...is there really much of a difference? Is a starter bike just so you can lay it down and not really worry about losing a bunch of money? Sorry, but I really am a total noob
Thats a big part of it. The second is that in all the bikes I've described the lost power is traded for stability. Engines have a stronger midrange so you dont have to shift as much, heavier flywheels so they are harder to stall (And you would be amazed how easy it is to stall a 600. Cars shake before they stall, bikes die like someone hit the kill switch) the steering is more stable, less likely to headshake, compression braking is reduced so the rear tire doesnt lock up on downshifts etc...

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-30-2005, 02:36 PM

At "100 lbs soaking wet" a 250cc will rocket you along. I weigh 185 and my 1999 ZZR-250 was more than quick enough for me.

You don't need a 600 and it sounds like it will only lead to heartache if you try to start on one.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-30-2005, 02:49 PM

I started on a 600, and i will not say not to start on a 600, a 250 will kill you just as quick as a 600. But i will say you better respect the bike when you get one, because they will bite your ass as soon as you give them half the chance.

At 5'6 you will have to put lowering links on them to touch the ground, once you become a better rider you can raise them back up to get all your handling back. i have a friend that is about 5'6 and he rides a 636 stock height, but he has been riding for several years, he can bairly tip toe the ground. wait and check out the 06 gixxer 600, i think the seat height is dropping about an inch (just like they did the 1000) so it might be a little easier.

A 250 ninja would fit you good, and would be PLENTY fast for a good year or so of riding, and they hold their resale value good, plus they are cheap, and expect to drop your first bike a few times, (don't wanna drop a $9000 bike, that cost about $1000 to fix every time it hits the ground, or more) and don't feel like you will look stupid if you ride a 250 ninja, alot of guys, and girls in our group ride them, hell i even get on one from time to time.

But what ever you chose, just be carefull out there, cause people are crazy these days, in cars and on bikes.

Hope that helps ya some, good luck with your bike purchase, oh yea take the MSF class, it is well worth it.

Later
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-30-2005, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Im definately gonna take the msf class...and every one I can find in my area..Would a ninja 500 be a good choice? I'm really looking for something that will keep me entertained for a few years until i can step way up in power.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-30-2005, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

Is there anything out there that has alot of aftermarket following that I could buy and upgrade as my skill level goes up? I'm looking for a really light bike that has great handling...i know I'm asking for alot..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode