Need a Techy's Help - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 07:31 AM Thread Starter

Need a Techy's Help

I am going to buy stock 04 R1 and since i am new to the cycle world, naturally i have alot of questions. I want to boost HP so i am thinkin of adding a K&N filter, full yoshi, and possibly a programmer. How will these things affect MPG and HP (numbers if possible)? Are they the right steps for more power or are there better mods i should do first. I have ridden ATV's for years so that's what i am basing my assumptions on. Also will my R1 act like a 4-stroke or a 2-stroke...or both? By that i mean does it pull easily through the bottom end or is it all top end?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 08:37 AM

I dont know if you are going to listen or not, but an R1 is an extremly bad choice for a first bike. That bike has more power than most people know what to do with. It will easily spin the rear tire without any provocation. And you havent had and a**hole clincher like the one that comes from a spinning rear tire in a corner. If thats not enough, it will easily lock the rear tire when you downshift.

That said, as to your questions. With a exhaust (full system, slip ons dont really add power) and a programmer, you can expect the top end power to go up 7%-10% in the peak. You will loose power under 5-6k rpm in return. The bike a 4 stroke and acts like one. There is a good deal of power starting from about 4k, and at about 8k the engine starts ripping like a rocket. You can easily float the front wheel thru the first 3 gears on acceleration.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode