I need a recomendation for my first bike. - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2005, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

I need a recomendation for my first bike.

I am 18, about 5'10" 220 lbs. The problem is that I dont have many places to go sit on bikes, so I dont really have a comparison of what to get.

I dont have any experience on motorcycles. I am taking an MSF course before anything, but I need to know what kind of bike to have an eye out for.

Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2005, 05:47 PM

Go for a decent bike to learn on. Probably the two best on the market are the 500cc vertical twins of Suzuki & Kawasaki. That offers you plenty of power so at the change of the red light to the green you will have faster take-off then the cages.

Also you will have a regular riding position which means you will not have an 800 lb touring bike in a most upright sitting position with the footrests & controls forward OR the lean forward position of a sportbike. Riding position of the above two bikes are what we call a "Regular" riding position & there are a lot of bikes in sporty class with the same riding position.

The bikes will have a decent mid-range power so they will not be to torque nor will they be we racing brakes that two fingers will have you accidently locking up the front wheel.

Good bike & basically bullet proof engines along with a regular riding height along with regular footrest positions.

They both can take you up to around 90mph & believe me at the start 45mph will be FAST.

Lastly hope you have put in several yrs of driving a cage as that is needed first.

Last edited by Smitty; 09-26-2005 at 08:29 PM.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2005, 06:55 PM

A 500 is an excellent choice. You can find used ones pretty cheap, too.

I have been riding a harley for approx 7 years and felt the Kawa 500 was a good bet for my first sportbike. I have loved every minute on it! Gets to 100 mph on the freeway without much trouble and I am on the heavy side

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2005, 07:26 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Fatman
if you can stand lack of power (stock) it get a supermotard like a suzuki drz 400sm, ride it until you are good and get a big bore kit or a faster bike, a supermotard or a enduro are easyer to fix when you fall down.

Build a man a fire, and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Everything I know I learned from killing smart people and eating their brains.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 04:04 PM

Hahah don't get a motard to start out with Christ it'll be tough to get you out of jail. They inspire totally hooligan type behaviors... You have no idea.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 06:03 PM

Look into Honda F2 or F3's.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 07:09 PM

Ninja 250: very light/agile, forgiving, easy to corner and ride. Top speed about 100mph, 0-60 in around 5.5 seconds, which is quicker than most cars. A lot of fun to "beat on," meaning you can really wind out the first few gears even around town.

Ninja 500 and Suzuki GS500(like Smitty mentioned). Both also lighter motorycles, just with more power than the 250. These are definitely quick enough to get you in trouble, but still toned down enough where you're not going to be accidentally doing wheelies.

All of the above are also very reliable bikes, and can be picked up used at decent prices. The good thing is when you're ready to move on, many times you can sell them for what you paid for them(if bought used), or close to. Plus there's always a big market for these bikes, so they're easy to sell.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by harleyxlc
...I have been riding a harley for approx 7 years and felt the Kawa 500 was a good bet for my first sportbike...
Response 1: Thought you'd take a step-up in speed, hey?

Response 2: Nice to be able to ride your bike instead of just fixing it, hey?

Response 3: So, you were finally able to sell your bike trailer?

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 08:05 PM

Nice response, cookeetree. And little fingers to boot....classy...
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by harleyxlc
...And little fingers to boot....classy...
Just to show I was having taking a light-hearted, sarcastic stab at you, that's all.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode