What makes them tick?? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-24-2005, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

What makes them tick??

Kinda hypothetical question, so I'm not sure which section it belongs to. Recently we're seeing newer bikes going back to side exhaust, using slim and shorter GP designs for greater cornering ability. But is it because underseat exhausts are now considered inefficient? They're heavier, but with all the extra bends and pipes, is there a loss of power compared to side exhausts? GP exhausts help the bike attain low CG, I'm sure we discussed this here before, but does low CG make the bike more flickable or would it also limit maximum lean angle compared to high CG? Underseat exhausts were promoted under the name of mass-centralization, so manufacturers don't care about that anymore?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-25-2005, 12:43 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Fatman
Re: What makes them tick??

Quote:
Originally posted by Z_Fanatic
Kinda hypothetical question, so I'm not sure which section it belongs to. Recently we're seeing newer bikes going back to side exhaust, using slim and shorter GP designs for greater cornering ability. But is it because underseat exhausts are now considered inefficient? They're heavier, but with all the extra bends and pipes, is there a loss of power compared to side exhausts? GP exhausts help the bike attain low CG, I'm sure we discussed this here before, but does low CG make the bike more flickable or would it also limit maximum lean angle compared to high CG? Underseat exhausts were promoted under the name of mass-centralization, so manufacturers don't care about that anymore?
puting the muffler lower will lower the cg and make a bike turn faster, but most people wont notice the difference. putting the muffler under the seat might make a bike a little more aerodynamic and give it 2 or 3 mph on the top end, useless on the street, this is just my opinion, but i think they (manufacturers) put them there because it's trendy, there is no power advatage to puting the up under the seat and there is no loss either. It might make working on the bike easyer because you don't have to yank mufflers off to get to things.

Build a man a fire, and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Everything I know I learned from killing smart people and eating their brains.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-25-2005, 07:59 PM

I've also read somewhere the putting the muffler under the seat greatly reduces the risk of a careless passenger accidentally frying their leg on a hot muffler. I can't speak from experience, but that's what i've read.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode