Ducati 748 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
scb

Ducati 748

Hello!
I have my classes for my license in mid november and I've been looking at bikes. My neighbor is selling a Ducati 748 for $7500 seen here:

It has very low miles, practically brand new tires, and everything is running very well. My question is, do you think this would be a good purchase? please help me out with the Pro's and Con's of this bike; also, what is a good price for this bike.

Oh and another question: I will be riding to school almost everyday and I am concerned with riding shoes. Is it common to walk around (school for instance) in a big pair of riding boots? Can I get away with tennis shoes? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 02:19 PM

I have never dealt with ducati, however I have heard they don't make good beginner bikes. They are also very costly to get repaired if anything breaks (so I have heard).
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 04:05 PM

Not a bike for a beginner. Look into the 250-500cc bikes that are more forgiving to beginner mistakes.
As for footwear, get at a minimum a boot that will cover and support the ankle. I've got a pair of A* riding boots that are like a hightop. Very comfortable to walk around in after they break in. Also, some of the street/race style boots can be worn under jeans so they look more casual than a full blown race boot.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
scb

Okay.. I did not specify, but this is not be the bike that I will be learning on. I will have a Ninja 250 to practice on. But, as far as worth. Do you think that $7500 is a good price? I have a feeling that I will grow out of a 250cc bike real fast. Maybe that's ignorant, I dont know.. Would this bike be a good step up from a Ninja 250?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 07:32 PM

What year? $6500 might be high depending? Offer $6000 and walk away. As stated a Duc is not a good starter bike and I would recommend you have a good job cause they do cost quite a bit more to maintain than most other brands. $400-$600 every 6000 miles. + tires. Other than that learning on the 250 and having the Duc might work!

A few ccs short of a full litre.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode