Which bike to choose - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

Which bike to choose

After riding my friends 94 Katana 600 a good bit, I am in the market for a bike. I dont want to buy used because im afraid to pick up a bike with xx,xxx miles and have a problematic bike but anyways I have been looking lately and come across a few.

I'm 6'3 and 300lbs....pretty muscular if that makes a difference.

1st bike 2003 SV1000 0 miles $7399
2nd bike 2005 sv650 0 $6699
3rd 97 gsxr 750 17k miles $4899
4th kawa. z1000 04 0 mile 7000

The sv1000 is absolutely gorgeous just needs front fairings...im in love.

Whats the best way to finance? Through Suzuki or a local credit union?

Last edited by zbgsaa; 09-20-2005 at 11:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 11:28 PM

I'd shop for the best rate. If you belong to a credit union they may offer a better interest rate but likely will be offering better rates for cars since car sales are down right now. Bikes are not the big market. But who knows. Bike companies don't really offer what I would call great financing.

Sounds like you have picked your bike so I won't bother to comment on that part of your query.

Fuster

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster, and treat those two imposters the same....you'll be a Man, my Son!"

- Rudyard Kipling
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 01:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by fuster
I'd shop for the best rate. If you belong to a credit union they may offer a better interest rate but likely will be offering better rates for cars since car sales are down right now. Bikes are not the big market. But who knows. Bike companies don't really offer what I would call great financing.

Sounds like you have picked your bike so I won't bother to comment on that part of your query.

Yeah i suppose for the most part I have. I looked at some triumphs but they cost too damn much along with the R1s and Honda bikes

What terms do they offer on new bikes 24 36 48 60 ... months? 72 and 84 also correct? Ill probably just finance for the max term and make double and triple payments.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 01:25 AM

You'd be better off financing for 36 and just making those big payments. The interest rate will probably be lower.

Fuster

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster, and treat those two imposters the same....you'll be a Man, my Son!"

- Rudyard Kipling
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 05:45 AM

Kawi (And I believe others too but dont know for sure) finances thru house hold retail. In other words they give you a credit card with a limit of up to 12k. The card is good for the bike, plus whatever else you feel like getting at the dealership. However for the most part it has an 18%APR, except for the bike purchases which ussually hang at about 4% for the first 3 years, going up to 18% after that..

As for the SV's, they do have an optional fairing.. bout $400 painted...

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Well i should be picking her up tomorrow! Got approved for 8500.
Front fairings should be here in 3 days or so.

What are you guys paying for insurance.

For full coverage with a 500/1000 deduct. was around 2500 a year.

With liability and comprehensive (theft) it was about 69 a month

Im not sure what i need to get but we'll see. Already has the fender eliminator kit on it.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 08:32 AM Thread Starter

Ok folks need some opinions. The dealer wants to send me out the door with tax titles tag fairings and helmet for 8400. That sounds a little high for an 03 with no miles dont ya think?

They have a 97 gsxr 750 with 17k miles. Green candy paint and all chromed out for 4899.
Also have a 98 TL1000 with 12k miles for 5899.

I am starting to lean towards the 750 due to smaller cc (ie insurance) and it is still pretty quick. I am just scared of picking up a used mileage motor especially with 17k. I dontwant to spend more time in the shop having it fixed.

what would you guys do?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 08:39 AM

I'd be tempted to go for the 750, just check it top to bottom, and make sure it gets a valve adjust done. Dont let the shop tell you it has been done, either have them do it, or show you a record of it. Check chain, sprockets, brake pads... You should be able to convince the shop to fix all of those if they really want to say it..

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Vash
I'd be tempted to go for the 750, just check it top to bottom, and make sure it gets a valve adjust done. Dont let the shop tell you it has been done, either have them do it, or show you a record of it. Check chain, sprockets, brake pads... You should be able to convince the shop to fix all of those if they really want to say it..
how stout are the motors in the 97 750 i dont want to buy it and have to go through a rebuild anytime soon

How many miles do they usually go through before needing rebuilt etc?
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 08:46 AM

I will add something here, as well...

New bikes sell for book value. Used bikes sometimes dont. YOu were approved for 8500, but that doesnt mean 8500 for any bike. It means "up to 8500", but they will go by book value. If book on that 750 is only 3000, that leaves you responsible for the remaining ballance.

For this reason, I feel that you will be better off with a new bike... But don't settle for a high price. Push the salesman until he wont go any lower, and see if the price looks good enough. Salesmen will work VERY hard to close the deal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode