Carberation/Fuel Injected - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2005, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

Carberation/Fuel Injected

Is there any major differences between the two, like power, reliability, gas consumption or anything else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2005, 08:18 PM

Carbs are wasteful, unreliable and about as precise as a sledgehammer.

EFI is reliable, precise and efficient.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2005, 10:05 PM

i've read that the cbr f4i had relatively poor gas mileage what other bikes are EFI?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2005, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sidewaysducati

hey hey, lets not insult the old tech, if it weren't for the carbs, there would been no CV carbs style EFIs. plus some of us can't afford the newest and baddest FI bikes.

R1 was once carbed.

although EFI is much more tunable, but Rundog once said carbs have more fuel efficiency if they're clean.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2005, 10:39 PM

Quote:

Tell us how you really feel.

Fuster

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster, and treat those two imposters the same....you'll be a Man, my Son!"

- Rudyard Kipling
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2005, 11:13 PM

Z, just because it used to be doesn't mean it should stay that way. I'm not making a big political statement or anything, I'm just saying carbs blow and EFI is great. I don't think there's much of an argument against what I'm saying. Anyone who disagrees with me never had to clean and rebuild some crappy old carbs.

Fuster, damn right I will.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 08:20 AM

I guess I don't share your negative experience. I have two bikes with carbs. They are not new bikes, sorry but not everyone can fork out the dough for a newer bike. I have had them since new and have never had any major problems with the carbs. They are paid for, and they work great. There is nothing a newer bike with FI can offer me that I don't have right now. I rode my ZX9R across the US, up mountain ranges and down into valleys, thru dry and humid climates, and the carbs worked great. Why would I need FI?

The problem with fuel injection is that if you tinker, FI is not exactly a do-it-yourselfer friendly accessory compared to carbs. True on cars as well. Modifications require expensive purchases. Try, for example, buying new injectors for something like a 300ZX twin turbo (or any Nissan Z car for that matter- I have owned three of them). The throttle response on FI also has been a major complaint of testers of new bikes from various manufacturers. Sometimes several model years go by before that is worked out. Go back and look at the first FI GIXXER, I think it was 1998, for example, or the VFR. Not so with carbs.

That does not mean I think FI is bad, evil, etc. It belongs on new bikes, but carbs are better if you are going to do mods on your motor and want to do the work yourself as far as tuning, unless you are loaded with money (maybe you are, but most do-it-yourselfers are not). Carbs also allow a manufacturer to market a less expensive bike.

I have rebuilt some large auto carburetors on cars I have owned, and have taken apart bike carbs. Bike carbs are tinker toys compared to a Quadrajet carburetor. But if you are not very mechanically inclined, then I can understand getting upset trying to work on them. FI is better for the mechanically challenged (let the dealer work on it for you).

Fuster

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster, and treat those two imposters the same....you'll be a Man, my Son!"

- Rudyard Kipling

Last edited by fuster; 09-19-2005 at 08:27 AM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 09:37 AM

they each have their own advantages...

If I were drag racing I would go carb all day long... easy tunability and very precise if you dial them in.... the problem is that when the temp / altitude changes you have to re calibrate them all over again... you can set up a street bike with carbs good but as it gets hotter it gets more rich... as it gets cooler it becomes more lean. EFI will calibrate it for you as the conditions change.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 07:30 PM

Fuster,
So people who prefer EFI to carbs are either wealthy, bad mechanics, or both.

You've got all the answers, don't you?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 07:53 PM

Quote:

So people who prefer EFI to carbs are either wealthy, bad mechanics, or both.
So which are you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode