my first stoppie!!! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-18-2005, 12:41 AM Thread Starter

my first stoppie!!!

ridin' about 60 mph (speed limit is 45-50 i i think) when i see an intersection ahead w/ the light turnin' yellow, i figure i've got enough time to stop so i start brakin' but realized seconds later that i may not make it. my friend who was right behind me had the right idea in this situation and just gunned it, makin' it through before the red light. i had aleady commited and figured i'd keep goin'... panick struck and i pulled the front brake a little too hard and started to feel weightless in the rear, let go of the brake in time to drop the rear, the shock slips my fingers from the clutch and the bike lurches forward, stalls and drops, sending me a few feet ahead of it.

my friend, who decided not to brake, swore she saw me nearin' an 11 o'clock position from her mirror, although i doubt i rlly went that high it went by rlly quickly for me. but i just wanted to share this experience from one newbie rider to other new riders. panicking sux, but because i was wearin' boots, jeans, leather jacket and a helmet i managed to get away w/ just a single rash on my knee the about 1.5 inches in diameter. my elbow too most of the force, but the jacket had a elbow padding that did its job well. my helmet kind of skipped on the pavement 2 or 3 times on the right side. the bike didn't throw me off that fast but i can only imagine how much more damage i'd receive if i just wore the standard squid-issued attire

the bike is fine, its still running good, except for the right mirror i destroyed, one more thing to add in my get-for-bike list. i've been goin' to a parkin' lot to practice taking turns but i guess i ought to spend some time on my braking as well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-18-2005, 12:58 AM

in situations like these when I've decided not to gunn it and brake hard instead, along with 2-fingers front braking, I usually keep a soft touch on the rear. not enough to lock it, but enough to ensure some weight on the rear even if it goes airborne. luckily, it never has. also pull in the clutch right before you stop, then you can worry about dropping gears after the bike has stopped.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-18-2005, 01:23 AM Thread Starter

while i sit here working the grave shift tonight, i keep thinking about it over and over, i realized that may have lurched forward during braking and may have screwed myself into that unplanned stoppie.

also, would i have been able to stop faster if i had downshifted while braking instead of just pulling in the clutch?

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-18-2005, 03:50 AM

No. In a panic situation like that, try to train yourself to grab the clutch and the front brake. Keep the clutch in until you come to a stop, worring about letting it back out to shift, or using the rear brake, should come later in your biketime.

I hate to say it... but your helmet may be pooched. They're designed for only one impact (except according to one magazine lately) and it's probably not worth your brain to risk another one.

Glad to hear you're alright though.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-18-2005, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lost Nomad

also, would i have been able to stop faster if i had downshifted while braking instead of just pulling in the clutch?

regardless of what gear you're on... 6th or 3rd, during panic stop, just have the clutch engaged and then use the front brake, no need to downshift. if you have time, have a little pressure on the rear as well, gently and soft. right before you stop (i.e. 5-10 mph), pull in the clutch. best to practice it so you get used to knowing just when you should pull in the clutch.

reason for having it engaged because compression braking helps tremendously. you can compare between going 60 mph and pull in the clutch to brake as quickly as possible as oppose to leaving the clutch engaged (and pull in only when you're close to full stop). I also noticed that if you pull in the clutch early, you have to work harder at braking, putting more pressure at the lever.

just try not to lock your brake, especially the front. rear lock up can be managed as long as you're going straight and keep it locked until you stop. but once front brake locks and tire washes out, down you go.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 02:37 PM

You should ALWAYS downshift as you're braking, emergency or not. In fact, it's even more important that you downshift in an emergency situation because any vehicle that is behind you will not be able to stop as quickly. Let's say in this situation that the car behind you saw you gun it and expect you to run it. In NJ, all drivers are assholes so he'd be tailgating you and run the red if necessary. If you suddenly start hitting the brakes and stop he won't be able to stop in the same distance that you did. A vehicle is about to plow into your stopped ass.. which gear would you rather be in? 6th, 3rd or 1st?
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 05:25 PM

it is all hypothetical situations... the amount of reaction time it takes to downshift during panic braking is longer than simply leaving the clutch engaged. while your example is good way to avoid rear-ending, but when you have short amount of time before t-boning a car, you'll need everything 1/10 of a second you can get. or instead of downshifting, you can purposely brake a little slower to let the cager behind you to realize. it doesn't matter what gear you're in an emergency situation, although already being in lower gears gives an advantage of stronger engine braking.

no doubt now you can see why the sport is dangerous, there's always a chance of going something wrong when there are cars around.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Z_Fanatic
it doesn't matter what gear you're in an emergency situation,

Oh really?
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Unas_the_Slayer

Oh really?
really my son, really.

unless you care to state your reasons coherently w/o resorting to hypothetical situations again. or are you going to tell me how much downshifting is actually faster than your front brake?

Last edited by Z_Fanatic; 09-20-2005 at 07:38 AM.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Z_Fanatic
really my son, really.

unless you care to state your reasons coherently w/o resorting to hypothetical situations again. or are you going to tell me how much downshifting is actually faster than your front brake?
I don't know about you, but my "hypothetical" bike pulls a lot harder the higher the rpm. That is always advantageous when in any type of emergency situation.

Oh.. and by the way dumbass, that was not a hypothetical situation. I nearly saw my friend get rear ended by a Dakota a few weeks ago because of exactly what I described. Although it wasn't because he pussied out of a yellow light.. a car stalled out in front of him.

Last edited by Unas_the_Slayer; 09-20-2005 at 03:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode