Textile or Leather gear? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Textile or Leather gear?

I notice that textiles are much cheaper than leather jackets. What are the pros n cons to both kinds? which would be better for a beginner?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 12:27 PM

leather protects better and still can be used after a good digger... but if it gets too hot and your considering riding without it, textile is better because you will have it on, they are usually a once and done deal, they don't withstand road slides well!

Get one your comfortable wearing, w/armor.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

well as I've read, "sweat wipes off, road rash doesnt." right now it doesn't get over 90 around here, it's actually low 80s now. so leather would be first choice then? what brand/type is the best in terms of price and quality?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 12:36 PM

depends on what you want... I like the pircy stuff but you can even find used on some sites... budget plays a big part.

Personally I love alpinestar stuff but that's just my taste.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

what about helmets? what should I look for in those?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 05:42 PM

To get back the orignal ?....note: that textile will Melt if you slide long enough....it will melt right to your skin...Not Good.

As far as lid's are concerned, DOT / Snell aproved..FULL FACE...note, that you usually get what you pay for, i.e. the cheap lids are just that..Cheap, they don't fit well,,in most cases..which can lead to injuries..also the pading isn't the best, and will compact after a couple months...they are usually pretty noisey ..and the visors leave something to be desired.

Good helmets...Top of the line HJC, Arai, Shoie, Shark, OKG, Sumoy..it's pretty tough to go wrong with any of these...prices start at about 270.00 up to over 600.00 If you get one with graphics..Also, make sure wherever you buy it, that there's someone Trained in Helmet fitment, cuzz if it don't fit properly, it ain't gonna protect ya properly..

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

the helmets that have the whole front lift up (rather than just the visor, i.e. Nolan 100, HJC symax), anything good/bad about those? I'd worry about it flipping up in a spill, doesnt sound like much fun to me...but they look pretty cool/unique
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by zpyro
the helmets that have the whole front lift up (rather than just the visor, i.e. Nolan 100, HJC symax), anything good/bad about those? I'd worry about it flipping up in a spill, doesnt sound like much fun to me...but they look pretty cool/unique
It's my understanding that those helmets aren't as strong as full-face helmets with a flip-up visor.

The term "jaw-breaker" has been thrown around in the past...

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 10:23 PM

Arai full face helmets. Try them on. If they fit, go with them. More expensive but worth every penny.

The flip top helmets will be noisier. You can get info on them by researching Rider and Motorcycle Consumer News archives. I subscribe to both magazines, but don't have the dates, but both have tested flip up full face helmets, I think it was Rider that tested them a few months ago. More noise, but they can be nice if you cruise in an upright position, as on a standard or cruiser or touring bike.

Dainese and Alpinstars make jackets that are pretty nice textile units. Dainese has one or two that are both textile and leather. However, they cost as much or almost as much as a good leather jacket. Vanson makes probably the best domestically available leather clothing, and worldwide they are among the best. Their product selection is much larger and diverse than any other manufacturer, anywhere.

If you can only buy one jacket right now, I would buy a good leather jacket that has room inside for extra clothing and it has zippered slash pockets on the outside, one or two pockets on the inside, a zip out quilt lining, shoulder and arm armor and back protector (or lining that takes a protector), front vents (zip or perforated or fabric panel), and rear exhaust (at least at the back of the shoulders). Some here will argue the snug fit "sportbike" jacket, but practically speaking, they are not very practical as an all around jacket because they cannot tolerate much clothing underneath, don't have removable liners, and have few if any pockets. Good as an additional jacket but not in my opinion as a "one and only" bike jacket if you ride a lot under various conditions.

Fuster

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster, and treat those two imposters the same....you'll be a Man, my Son!"

- Rudyard Kipling

Last edited by fuster; 09-14-2005 at 10:25 PM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

thanks a lot for all the advice guys, i really appreciate it

i've heard before that water ruins leather. is that only some kinds of leather or is it just a wive's tale?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode